• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to open an illustrator doc in indesign?

New Here ,
Feb 02, 2017 Feb 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Here are some examples of files that were done in illustrator that I would like to open and rework in indesign?   I was able to "place" the pdf as a whole but can't work on each item.  Can you please help?  Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Feb 02, 2017 Feb 02, 2017

Thank you all for your kind and efficient responses.  I am new to indesign (for personal use) and don't have access to Illustrator.  I just want to be able to do occasional leaflets and brochures. 

The plugins would have been perfect but they are expensive.  Therefore, I guess I will start from scratch and use the individual items used in the original illustrator file.

Thanks again!

Julie

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why don't you Place it as a (native) Illustrator file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to "place" the pdf as a whole but can't work on each item

You can't edit the PDFs directly in InDesign. There are plug-ins to help, though:

PDF2DTP | Markzware

PDF2ID - PDF to InDesign, How to convert PDF to InDesign, Convert PDF to InDesign

Alternatively, you could try opening up the PDF in Adobe Acrobat Standard or Professional (not the free Adobe Reader) and export the elements, and then put them back together.

Convert PDF to word doc, PDF to Word converter | Adobe Acrobat DC

Convert or export PDFs to other file formats, Adobe Acrobat

Or copy/paste the elements from the .AI file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Barb, the success of both wholesale converting a PDF to native InDesign and copy/paste from Illustrator into ID depends entirely on the contents of those images. The first should work for fairly simple text with a modicum of graphics, the second only if none of Illustrator's more advanced features are not used. (Where "advanced" is, practically, anything more than plain line artwork.) Also, the paths should not be too complicated.

I fail to see why adjusting is not best done in Illustrator itself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hear you. I have a tendency to answer as question as posed, for what that is worth.

I'm all for editing in Illustrator but then we assume that Julie a.) has Illustrator and b.) knows how to use it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I seem to be missing the point. Why aren't you reworking in Illustrator?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would assume that she doesn't have Illustrator available to her. Or that her expertise lies in InDesign. I know many people who, for one reason or another (not always in their control), have to make do with the tools they have. Which isn't always the best/proper tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have Illustrator and InDesign in a CC subscription, you can add Illustrator Objects to a CC Library and get it from there in other CC applications. But nor every feature will remain as the functionality, even in text, has different functionalities.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you all for your kind and efficient responses.  I am new to indesign (for personal use) and don't have access to Illustrator.  I just want to be able to do occasional leaflets and brochures. 

The plugins would have been perfect but they are expensive.  Therefore, I guess I will start from scratch and use the individual items used in the original illustrator file.

Thanks again!

Julie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines