• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Light layer won't work.

New Here ,
Jan 30, 2017 Jan 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to make 3d text have shadows. When I point the light to the text, it doesn't cast anything, even with cast shadows switched on. If anyone else knows how to fix this, please let me know what I'm doing wrong??!

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 30, 2017 Jan 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first thing to do when diagnosing problems is select the layers that are giving you problems and press the U key twice to reveal all modified properties. In you case do this with the 3D layers and the lights. Shadows are only cast on 3D layers so you'll need at least 3 layers to see the shadow. Here are the basic settings to get a shadow to show up:

Screen Shot 2017-01-30 at 10.18.19 AM.png

To get the material options to show up for a layer or the light options to show up for a light press the a key twice.

Here is what happens when light and material options (aa) are set to the default values:

Screen Shot 2017-01-30 at 10.19.57 AM.png

No Shadows. Personally I think the default setting should be to cast shadows and accept shadows because that is the way I work. Fortunately AE should remember the last settings you used with you created a 3D layer or light.

Beware that you can also get into trouble if you have the fall off distance set incorrectly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2017 Feb 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It still doesn't work

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Show us a screenshot with the modified properties revealed and multiple views of the comp window so we can see where the light is pointed. If it doesn't work there's a 99.9997% chance it is user error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 01, 2017 Feb 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi panayiotid,

Sorry to see you struggling there. Did Rick's advice assist you at all? It would be great to hear back from you to see if you solved your issue.

Thanks!
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I point the light to the text, it doesn't cast anything, even with cast shadows switched on.

make sure you have Cast shadow on the light settings and on the layer materials options.

also, as Rick suggested, try resetting your light settings by typing UU and right clicking ->reset on the parameters to make sure you are starting at the default values. (leave Cast shadows which is not the default)

another thing that could be the cause is the draft 3d switch. make sure it's off

it disables lights, shadows and DOF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2020 Dec 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sweet!  That worked for me, thanks!  I was having the same issue!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 28, 2017 Feb 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi panayiotid,

Did you follow Roei's advice about enabling "Cast Shadows" and did it help? Please let us know!

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines