• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I've done everything I can to text wrap an anchored image, but to no avail.

Participant ,
Feb 02, 2017 Feb 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After I do the setup box (see attached), then what? There's no "apply" or anything

to execute my setup.

Thank you,

Morty Sklar

text wrap setup.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Morty,

Can you post a screenshot showing the element that you want to wrap text around and what happens when you try?

Regards,

Malcolm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will do tomorrow, thanks, Malcolm.

Morty

Sent from iMorty

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, there is no Apply button. For the most part, anything entered in a panel is real time. Enter a point size in the Character panel and the text changes size. Select a swatch or enter colour values in the Swatches or Colour panel and the selection changes colour. Change the Text Wrap options and the text (if there is any that applies) will wrap around the selected object.

However, there are limits when applying text wrap to an anchored object. Text wrap will apply to text in other frames and text that follows the anchor in the current text frame only. Text that precedes the anchor will be unaffected. This is likely because it could cause a recursive loop other wise. Text flow determines where the anchor is. Anchor applies text wrap. Text wrap repositions anchor. LRR.

See here.

Screen Shot 2017-02-02 at 5.12.04 PM.png

The circle is at the beginning of the paragraph that begins, “Odisque evelit faci…”. Text before the circle in the above paragraph cannot wrap around the circle. Only the text following the anchored object can wrap. If I positioned the anchor earlier in the frame and either dragged it or used Anchor Object Options to position it lower I could wrap both paragraphs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Scott—will get back to it tomorrow.

Morty

Sent from iMorty

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any text frame that "runs into" this object will have its text wrapped. UNLESS the text frame has that option turned off. In Text Frame Options, there is an option to "Ignore Text Wrap." If that is checked, that particular text frame will ignore the settings you have set. I also noticed the text wrap above only is set to wrap on the right side. Is that what you intended?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Will get back to this tomorrow.

Sent from iMorty

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me back up...are you selecting an object first, then choosing the above text wrap settings? Or are you setting them with nothing selected and expecting it to apply to all new items? I can see where that would be a mistake you could make.

You definitely need to select the object you want text to wrap around, then input settings in the Text Wrap panel...and text frames that interact with that object will have their text wrapped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Erica—will get back to this tomorrow.

Morty

Sent from iMorty

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure thing! And I just noticed (if I had only read the title more carefully) that you were working with anchored images. Oops!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Morty,

This may illustrate better what you need to do.

The red box represents your image (or whatever content you want your text to wrap around). I anchored it to the text by dragging the solid square (where the anchor symbol is now) into the paragraph BEFORE where I want the wrap to start. You can see the dotted line leading from the red box to the anchor point in the text. The reason it's not anchored to the actual paragraph that I want to wrap is because Indesign will not wrap the first line if you do that.

Regards,

Malcolm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again. Tomorrow I'll get back to it.

Sent from iMorty

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 01, 2017 Mar 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is good, Malcolm BUT

I dragged the object by its anchor to before the paragraph I want to wrap around it,

and when nothing happened, I placed the cursor to the left of the first line of that paragraph,

and hit delete to move the text up BUT only the first line moved up. When I repeated that

with the next line, the whole shebang evaporated.

I noticed you said "dragging the solid square (where the anchor symbol is now) into the paragraph BEFORE

where I want the wrap to start." DOES THAT MEAN I should UN-anchor the object before dragging it?

Thanks,

Morty

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 02, 2017 Mar 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Morty,

to un-anchor an object:

1. Select the anchored object

2. Use the context menu and go to: Anchored Object > Release

Alternatively you could cut the special character that is representing the anchored object in the text stream and paste it to a different insertion point. Do that best in Story Editor window.

Or if you set your preferences to enable dragging text you could also drag the selected anchor to its new position.

Also best done with Story Editor window

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines