• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Any ideas on how to achieve this effect?

Community Beginner ,
Feb 02, 2017 Feb 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Does anyone know how I would go about achieving this effect?

I pretty much want to emulate it exactly on to any black and white image.

I am unsure of how to create that 'zig zag' effect between the shades of gray, which when viewed from further back, make a smooth transition between shades.

Hope you can help!

Many thanks

FullSizeRender.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 02, 2017 Feb 02, 2017

Andromeda have a number of Photoshop plugins, such a Cutline Filter that may have something similar:

Cutline Photoshop Plug-in - Andromeda

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IMO the was most likely created using a Plug-in on a high resolution image.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can create the image below using some software called Ink Scape.

But I really need to try and get the zig zag style of shading between the shades so it blends much better.

Have you ever seen a plug in of this sort?

This is the Ink Scape image:

g3400.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The closest I can think to give you a similar pattern would be the Oil Pint filter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Andromeda have a number of Photoshop plugins, such a Cutline Filter that may have something similar:

Cutline Photoshop Plug-in - Andromeda

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the input guys.

After creating these images in Photoshop I print them out as stencils and then spray paint them into a painting.

So I am really after exactly replicating the effect to make the shading on my stencils better.

Here is one of the paintings so you can see what I hope to achieve which the new effect:

HF5z8Xp.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi

You might also search Google for : Photoshop CC, engrave or Etching plugin. There's also some script/action.

Pierre

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I've gotten close to the idea. You'll see, I started with a gradient - black to white. I then added a Posterize Adjustment Layer. Turned it into a Smart Object, and ran a Ripple Filter on that. It may not show great on the video - but to me, it looks close, I think you'd just want to tweak image resolutions, posterize sizes and ripple distances to get the ripples straighter. You'll also have to do it in parts, with the top image of the lady's face - but this might get you started. I love what you make, BTW...

Adobe Community Expert / Adobe Certified Instructor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines