• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Remove "transparency grid"

Feb 01, 2017 Feb 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am trying to remove the transparency grid so that when I save the image there is no white background that automatically takes it's place (I am trying to make a logo, and in doing so, I can't have a white background behind my logo; I need my logo to have nothing at all behind it).

And, I have tried to 'disable' the grid in the settings, but to no avail (there still is a white background that shows up as soon as I save my image).

Any help? Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 02, 2017 Feb 02, 2017

Hi! As some user already told you, JPG is a format that doesn't allow any kind of transparency, so, it doesn't matter how do you set your PS, a JPG file will ALWAYS have a background.

There are many file formats that will allow you to keep a transparent background, you can choose one of them according on the kind of job you need to do. PNG, GIF, PDF, TIFF are some of them.

For general images, I'll advice to use PNG.

Here's how to do it:

• when create your file, please mind choosing "background content

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Are you Saving as PNG with transparency ?

Pierre

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No I am saving it as a JPEG image; however, I did not know that there was a 'save with transparency' feature?

Thanks for your response!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

You're welcome.

JPEG does not have "transparency".

Pierre

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I'm afraid the transparency grid isn't the basis of your problem getting that white edge when saving for transparency. The issue is about what format you're using to save. JPEG can't have any transparency. GIF and PNG 8 can have transparency - but no translucency. Pixels are either turned on, or turned off. If you created your image, even on a transparent background, your softer (anti-aliased) edges are going to try to find a pixel color (the default for that is white), or it's going to give you hard, pixellated edges.

If you want TransLUCENcy, where it fades into the background, you'll want to choose to Export your image as a PNG 24. In the new File>Export>Export as dialog, you'll achieve this by selecting PNG as the format at the top right of the screen, then make sure to have Transparency turned ON, and Smaller File (8 bit) turned off.

If you use Save for Web - Legacy, the PNG-24 option is at the top right of the window.

Hope that helps.

Adobe Community Expert / Adobe Certified Instructor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 02, 2017 Feb 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! As some user already told you, JPG is a format that doesn't allow any kind of transparency, so, it doesn't matter how do you set your PS, a JPG file will ALWAYS have a background.

There are many file formats that will allow you to keep a transparent background, you can choose one of them according on the kind of job you need to do. PNG, GIF, PDF, TIFF are some of them.

For general images, I'll advice to use PNG.

Here's how to do it:

• when create your file, please mind choosing "background contents": transparent
  • Use a RGB color method, otherwise you won't be able to save it as PNG
  • When saving your file you can "save for web", "export" or "save as"
  • If you just "save as" you won't have any problem it will automatically save it with transparent background, otherwise make sure that "transparency" option is enabled

Cattura.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank ya'll very much for your help!

I did figure out how to have no background by saving it as a PNG file.

However, even when I followed @italosan's exact directions and 'Saved for Web' and selected PNG-24, the pixels remained choppy (non anti-aliased). Which isn't a very big deal!

Thank ya'll. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh wait never mind, it did keep the anti-aliasing. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

YAY! Now THAT makes sense!

Adobe Community Expert / Adobe Certified Instructor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines