Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Top line of text box suddenly cut off: baseline grid-based style, CS6

Feb 02, 2017 Feb 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been working with CS6 with the same style sheet for years and suddenly it is cutting off the top line of my columns. It's as if there's something invisible that's too tall:

Screen Shot 2017-02-02 at 09.04.10.png

If I simply raise the text box a smidgen (as a workaround), the non-grid aligned styles now exceed the proper margins:

Screen Shot 2017-02-02 at 09.04.44.png

This has not happened before now and to my knowledge I have not changed any settings, either in InDesign or the document.

Additionally, I have opened previous files (with an older version of the imbedded stylesheet) and applied the (imbedded) styles and the same thing occurs!

Help me resolve this maddening development!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 03, 2017 Feb 03, 2017

Then I'd look into the text frame options (preferences) of the applied object styles.
See if you could do something with the values of the First Baseline Offset.

Maybe changing from Ascent to Cap height would help?

From my German InDesign
"Oberlänge" => "Ascent"

AscentBefore-CapHeightAfter-1.png

"Versalhöhe" => "Cap Height"

AscentBefore-CapHeightAfter-2.png

The two screenshots show the opened InDesign document.

Not the opened IDML from that document.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do want to place the problem file (or a few pages from that file) on dropbox and post a link so that we can see it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's an excerpt from the file: Dropbox - LF2017-1-AdobeForum.indd​

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see the exact text from your screen shot ("well-stocked with many more" or "of the man who wages"), but I am not seeing any issue with pages you did send. Were they problematic on your system?

InDesignss_001.png

If it's a system issue (and it does not appear to be a file issue), try deleting your preferences

Trash, Replace, Reset, or Restore the application Preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the photo. Yes, the problem seems to be on my system. But I tried the same file on another computer and the problem was still there. I'll try resetting the settings and see how it works. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you talking about this:

baseline grid.png

The difference is the text on the left is not aligned to the baseline grid and the text on the right is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, but oddly, it didn't happen when I opened up alarswilson​'s file on my copy on InDesign CS6.

What are you thinking it is?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you are correct, and you've perfectly reproduced my problem! So it's not just on my system.

But the both should align precisely at the top at this point, and have done so for years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did trash the application preferences as @BarbBinder suggested. The problem persists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also did the following:

• I opened an older version of our magazine, with the same styles, and everything seems to work fine, and then
  • I opened an older version of our template, started placing text, and the same thing happened!

This is absolutely maddening!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I also can see the problem.
Opened your document with InDesign CS6 v8.1.0 on Mac OSX 10.10.5.

LF2017-1-AdobeForum-opened-with-CS6-v8.1.0.png

And I checked the history of the document.
It started with InDesign CS v.3.0.1 on Mac OSX 10.2.8 in 2007 and was saved over and over with several versions of InDesign.

I exported to IDML and opened the IDML in the same version of InDesign.

That changed the layout:

LF2017-1-After-IDML-export-opend-again.png

The text frames's object style on the odd page was showing an overide with column count.

But the text is aligning as you wish.

LF2017-1-ObjectStyleOverride.png

Text frame selected:

Switching to object style "3 columns" and back to "2 Columns" solved the problem.
The override itself could not be resolved by alt-clicking the object style.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 03, 2017 Feb 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Uwe. I can certainly see that the incremental changes we have made might eventually corrupt the file. I exported the IDML as you suggested, then opened it again with ID. But the problem has not resolved itself for me, and when I did open it every single text box is now three-columns:

Screen Shot 2017-02-03 at 08.05.35.png

It has also done this in all my master pages--something I'm happy to work on if it will clean up the problem. But it did not seem to fix the problem for me.

I did some fiddling around, and whereas before it would not cut off above 11pt (the height of my font) (this is an older file):

Screen Shot 2017-02-03 at 08.28.32.png

now it seems as if there is an invisible 12pt character that pushes it down to the next grid line.

Screen Shot 2017-02-03 at 08.31.54.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then I'd look into the text frame options (preferences) of the applied object styles.
See if you could do something with the values of the First Baseline Offset.

Maybe changing from Ascent to Cap height would help?

From my German InDesign
"Oberlänge" => "Ascent"

AscentBefore-CapHeightAfter-1.png

"Versalhöhe" => "Cap Height"

AscentBefore-CapHeightAfter-2.png

The two screenshots show the opened InDesign document.

Not the opened IDML from that document.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Uwe. This seems to have resolved the problem. I don't know it that got altered, but I'm glad it is now working.

I will take the other suggestions and clean up or redo my template for the next issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It started with InDesign CS v.3.0.1 on Mac OSX 10.2.8 in 2007 and was saved over and over with several versions of InDesign.

I called Adobe support a while back about a document that was causing problems, and they asked, "you aren't using a template that was created on an earlier version, are you?" And yes, I was. For years, I would just open the last version of the file, replace the content and move happily along. I was given a stern reprimand to always create a new template from scratch with each new version. Honestly, I don't do it every version, I do I when I start running in problems with the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good grief — I don't start a new template every year either!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you're not going to start from a new template, at the very least save as IDML and then open.

However, warning, I have found that saving out as IDML can screw up guides placed on masters for facing pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines