Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

opening .cr2 raw file on photoshop or lightroom

Community Beginner ,
Jan 11, 2017 Jan 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm helping one of you can help... I have updated both all of my CC adobe applications to 2017. I am trying to open my .CR2 raw files from my Canon Rebel XSi.  I have installed Camera Raw as well as all of the updates. Clearly I am doing something wrong, but I keep getting this message when I try to open or import images from my camera into Photoshop or Lightroom:

Screen Shot 2017-01-11 at 4.14.03 PM.png

If this helps, this is what my .CR2 images look like in Adobe Bridge.

Screen Shot 2017-01-11 at 4.17.22 PM.png

Thank you so much for your help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jan 12, 2017 Jan 12, 2017

Trevor and John,

Finally figured out what it was.... Photoshop was reading my .cr2 files from my USB as corrupt. When I imported them via the card reader, it worked fine.  Bummed that it took me 3 hours to get to that point, but happy I'm there.

Thank you both for your reply,

Alicia

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Fly Girl

Is the Rebel XSi a newly released model?  I can see an XSi from 2008 (aka EOS450) which should definitely be supported by CC2017.

Out of interest, open Photoshop and go Help > About plugin > Camera RAW which will open a window like this and show what version of ACR you have iunstalled

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Raw files from the XSi should be able to be opened by Photoshop CC out of the box.

Can you upload one of the CR2 files and post a link so we can download it and open it on our computers?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 12, 2017 Jan 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor and John,

Finally figured out what it was.... Photoshop was reading my .cr2 files from my USB as corrupt. When I imported them via the card reader, it worked fine.  Bummed that it took me 3 hours to get to that point, but happy I'm there.

Thank you both for your reply,

Alicia

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2017 Feb 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having a similar problem viewing CR2 files taken with either my 7D Mk2 or a 5D MK4 I have updated the elements 12 adons to version 9.8 but still get the following error message

Can anyone help as I am pulling my hair out?

Thanks

Tony

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 15, 2017 Nov 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running CS6.

Camera RAW 9.1.1.461 is installed.

My .CR2 Canon 5D Mark IV files will not open.

Any idea how I might fix this?

Many thanks!

Denis

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 15, 2017 Nov 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cameras supported by Camera Raw

Simply put: old software cannot read Raw files from new camera without an update. In your case, there's unfortunately no update available.

• The 5D Mark IV was first supported in Camera Raw 9.7.
  • Camera Raw 9.1.1 is the last ever Camera Raw update for CS6 so you'll never be able to read Raw files from the 5D Mark IV in CS6.

You've got a couple of options:

1. Join the Cloud and open those Raw files In Photoshop CC, or
  2. Stay with CS6 and go the DNG conversion route which is free:
    a) Download the free Adobe DNG converter from Digital Negative (DNG), Adobe DNG Converter | Adobe Photoshop CC
    b) Batch convert folders of Raw files to DNG format
    c) Edit the DNG files (not the Raw files) in CS6
    Some people feel this extra step is a pain. If that's you, you'll have to join the Cloud - unless you've got Lightroom.
    Others are happy with converting to DNG every time they shoot Raw.
    It's up to you..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 16, 2017 Nov 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the reply.

I'll stick with CaptureOne.

The reason I wanted to open a file in ACR is that it has a green fringing removal slider, which C1 (stupidly) does not. (It only has purple fringing correction, separate from the CA correction.)

Green fringing (separate from any Chromatic Aberration correction) is very rare. But, I happen to have some in a file I'm working on.

Thanks again.

D.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines