Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Select and mask not resulting in transparent background

Community Beginner ,
Feb 02, 2017 Feb 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I have been successfully selecting and masking for years now, however, today I'm stumped on something that I know is easy. I'm sure this has a very simple solution but, the answer is eluding me... I have a black box on a white background that I need removed off of the white background. I make a selection yet when I mask it the transparent checkerboard is not being revealed, it stays white. When I try to inverse it the box disappears but, instead of the transparent checkerboard I'm left with a pure white layer. What am I doing wrong?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Feb 03, 2017 Feb 03, 2017

Well, I figured it out. SHM... The problem was my screen! I took screen shots and when I opened those on my laptop screen instead of my secondary screen I could see the transparent background. Wow, time to get a new screen. Sorry about this crazy plea for help

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Feb 02, 2017 Feb 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you may have just changed a simple preference for visibility of the transparency grid. Please go to Preferences>Transparency and Gamut. The view of the checkerboard on the grid is based on the settings in that area. Either, the Grid size is set to "None", in which case, change it to something you like. OR, the color boxes under "Grid Colors" are both white, for which you can change either color to get the checkerboard back. There are also some color presets in there.

Screen Shot 2017-02-02 at 4.17.15 PM.jpeg

Adobe Community Expert / Adobe Certified Instructor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 03, 2017 Feb 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

good morning,

Thank you for taking the time to help me out! I just looked and what you suggested was not the problem, my settings are as they are in the screenshot you provided.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried the eraser tool and even that will not reveal the transparent background, but it will erase the black box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow... hmmm... So, I wonder, if you try to export a PNG with transparency, is it accepting the transparency, but just not showing it in your work?

OR, another thought... if you've been using this for years, you may be used to having a "Background Layer"  -but in the new version, if you start without an actual photo, there is no fixed solid background layer - they're all like regular transparent-capable layers. I know it may be a silly question, but I wonder if you're working on a background layer? - No... it can't be... you're masking. And, you're not working inside a smart object (.psb) that has a background layer underneath it, I assume?

If it's not a background layer, and if the transparency shows in the PNG, then perhaps just a reset of the preferences'll fix it?

Is there a way you can post a screenshot of the layers? Maybe before and after you mask?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again,

It is the strangest thing. If I copy the masked image and paste it in a new file the transparency is honored, but if I save as a PNG or PSD the transparency is not honored and its white. I've tried doing it on the background layer, layer 0, new layer... I'll take screen shots for you

T

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I figured it out. SHM... The problem was my screen! I took screen shots and when I opened those on my laptop screen instead of my secondary screen I could see the transparent background. Wow, time to get a new screen. Sorry about this crazy plea for help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

LOL! I hadn't thought of that! One thing that may save you a few bucks may be to lower the brightness of the secondary screen...

Worth a shot, unless you, like me, love buying technology!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines