• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why on Earth does "Replacing With After Effects Composition" give me sequences in AE instead of clips?!

Enthusiast ,
Feb 03, 2017 Feb 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anybody know what's up with the "Replace With After Effects Composition" functionality, now? We were forced to "upgrade" to CC2017 from CC2015, and Adobe seems to have managed to somehow fart this up in the new versions.

I've got a basic Premiere sequence with an audio track, an h264 .MOV reference video, and the original clips needing VFX/Motion Graphics (in original, unmodified .R3D format). There are no plugins, filters or adjustment layers on any of the footage.

I right-click on the PPro timeline and choose "Replace With After Effects Composition" in order to bounce the files to AE. When they arrive in AE, for some ridiculous reason, the linked Comp doesn't contain, y'know, the actual footage as laid out in the PPro timeline; it inexplicably contains subcomps, which, in turn, have the footage inside. If I want to work with the footage itself, rather than the subcomps, I have to go into each of the subcomps, split the video layer at the appropriate time, copy and paste it back into the original Linked Comp, and shift it into place --- a huge PITA when you're dealing with a stack of, say, 5 or 10 layers.

In CC2015 and prior, this worked as expected: the Linked Comp that opened in AE would have the raw clips, laid out properly, not subcomped for some bizarre reason.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks in advance!

Untitled-2.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 03, 2017 Feb 03, 2017

I think there is some misunderstanding here.

what I am suggesting is that the precomped footage in your Ae is a result of "Scale to frame size" which is checked for your clips in premiere. right click on the clip in premiere and check

if it is indeed checked, then if you copy the clips to Ae, they will be precomped because that's the way Ae translated this feature. now, if instead you choose "set to frame size", then your footage will be also scaled to frame, but now when you copy the clips to Ae

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the reasons you are seeing precomps instead of clips could be because you toggled the "scale to frame size" in premiere: Re: Scale to frame size Premiere to AE behaviour?

if this is the case, you can toggle it off and and instead use "set to frame size" in premiere instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ugh, you're mostly right. My settings are fine ("set to frame size" NOT toggled), but the client may have had it checked.

If I re-import the raw footage on my end, then bounce it to AE, things work properly. I'm guessing there's no way to actually fix this without re-building the entire feature from scratch with "set to frame size" toggled off, then...? The footage in the PPro seq is all scaled to 100%; the project had no need for "set to frame size"...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think there is some misunderstanding here.

what I am suggesting is that the precomped footage in your Ae is a result of "Scale to frame size" which is checked for your clips in premiere. right click on the clip in premiere and check

if it is indeed checked, then if you copy the clips to Ae, they will be precomped because that's the way Ae translated this feature. now, if instead you choose "set to frame size", then your footage will be also scaled to frame, but now when you copy the clips to Ae they won't be precomped.

More on scale to frame size vs set to frame size:

when you "scale to frame size", Premiere internally scales the footage to the frame and rasterize it  - think of it as if in Ae, you scaled your footage to frame and precomped it. it's now a precomp at 100% but it really isn't the true scale value of the footage (now it makes sense it translates this way, right?).

when you "set to frame" you are really scaling the footage in it's scaling parameters. so you will see 120% or 60% as if you scaled your footage in Ae but didn't precomp it - and it also makes sense it won't need to precomp upon translation to Ae.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice! Right-clicking on the footage and un-checking "scale to frame size" did the trick! Thanks for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Great! thanks for the feedback

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines