Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

This type of file is not supported or the required codec is not installed

Feb 02, 2017 Feb 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My videos were working just fine for works and then for no reason I am now getting the following message: "This type of file is not supported or the required codec is not installed". I can't figure out how to fix this.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you possible provide more information?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like which version of the program are you using and on what operating system?

What model of camcorder is your video coming from and what is the video's resolution and file format?

What are you doing when you see this message?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 03, 2017 Feb 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere elements 14 and using Windows 8. Initially I was downloading video from my gopro 4. My videos were viewable from premiere elements 14. I was even able to share on my facebook pages. For some reason out of the blue I am now unable to open my videos in premiere elements it states the issues above. When I try to open the project in premiere elements it tells me the file is not supported or the required codec is missing. I am unaware of anything I did differently to my project. I can see the black pages with the titles and hear the music but not see the videos now at all, I see something written in Chinese it looks like. you can tell where all video boxes are and everything looks as though it is ok per the previous setup except videos will not open in premiere elements. I can view them in windows media player with no issues but not through premiere elements. I also used to be able to open the projects from the drop down boxes, now it has a page that pops up and makes me select the project from the download box but says file is not supported or the required codec is missing. Hope this was more helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 03, 2017 Feb 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have Quicktime 7 installed, per the program's system requirements?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 04, 2017 Feb 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do have quicktime 7 installed. I did make a mistake though, I have windows 10 not 8.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 06, 2017 Feb 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Trash all the media cache in the Prefernces.

Go to that folder and delete the rest manually

Rename the top folder the gopro footage is in

and try again.

Best is to transfer gopro footage first to harddrive then import into Elements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines