• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Selecting Lines and Shading Regions

Community Beginner ,
Feb 02, 2017 Feb 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am essentially PS illiterate but have been searching forums and tutorials trying to find a solution to my query which I would think is simple - either its not or Im just not seeing the solution I need-

I need to draw a series of cut of lines on well log cross sections, these will change and need to show various cut offs in the same spot to ideally this is done on a separate layer i can turn on or off - the problem im having is that I cant seem to copy the original line work to a new layer. Someone suggested I just trace it with the pen tool but that is extremely laborious and not a practical solution. The big issue here is that the original file is a crappy black and white grid with a even worse squiggly line which crosses back and forth (see below).

To reiterate - The black and white is the original, I need to draw the yellow vertical line and shade the portion to the left. Over time this line will move and is repeated on  several neighboring logs so if i have to change one I would prefer not to redraw the entire thing.

Any thoughts for the FNG would be much appreciated as the example below was done in paint.

sand line.png

EDIT [moved to correct product forum – moderator]

[Here is a list of all Adobe Communities https://forums.adobe.com/welcome]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 03, 2017 Feb 03, 2017

spencerp89265527 wrote:

Unfortunately no. Its all old paper logs from the 70's-80's which the government did a horrible job scanning and compiling a database of raster .tiff files.

In that case I think the best you are going to do is with the shape tool to paint a line and the paint bucket tool to fill each square (or part of square) you can do both of these on new layers. It does not take long. N.B: I have deliberately move the line one square to the right for this demo.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Feb 03, 2017 Feb 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to make sure: Is the data present as vector data or numeric tables at any time?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately no. Its all old paper logs from the 70's-80's which the government did a horrible job scanning and compiling a database of raster .tiff files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

spencerp89265527 wrote:

In that case I think the best you are going to do is with the shape tool to paint a line and the paint bucket tool to fill each square (or part of square) you can do both of these on new layers. It does not take long. N.B: I have deliberately move the line one square to the right for this demo.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Dave! Ill look into this shape file this weekend....Until now I didnt even know what tool to start researching so this is a big help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

No problem .

The shape tool just gave a line

After that I used the Paint bucket tool, clicking in each square in turn:

The paint bucket tool fills to the edge around which you click. If there is a gap - fill it with the brush tool before using paint

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hold on, Sorry I didnt realize what you had said before - Yes I can make a line and use the paint bucket, I had that figured out with the exception of the layers which is what prompted this discussion in the first place.

So knowing that, the problem I was having was after creating a new layer and drawing the line with shape, the paint bucket tool wouldnt recognize the squiggly line. I had assumed this was because the orig file with the squigle was "underneath" the layer I was drawing on.

Any thoughts why That might be happening?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

spencerp89265527 wrote:

I had assumed this was because the orig file with the squigle was "underneath" the layer I was drawing on.

Any thoughts why That might be happening?

Have you got All Layers checked?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 04, 2017 Feb 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi

Yes I filled onto a separate layer.

Select the layer you want to fill onto (create an empty layer above the image). As Trevor said - Check "All layers" in the options bar. That way it will see the lines on other layers as edges.

The other control to look at is the Tolerance value. If you find that the fill is leaving a gap  or overshooting and filling outside the lines - adjust the value.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines