• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Reduce overexposured areas in specific parts

Community Beginner ,
Feb 04, 2017 Feb 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!! In a beginner using photoshop and would like to know some techniques i need to improve the pictures i make to products.

Now and then i take pictures and later on i see there are some parts overexposed.

Is there a way to darken that specific parts while keeping the original color of the picture? I´ll attack a file that illustrates what i mean.

Thank you very much in advance for those who teach my a technique to do it.IMG_0960.JPG

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 04, 2017 Feb 04, 2017

Hi

I put a mask round it so it would show against a plain white fill background.

Then I converted to a smart object and used the camera raw filter.

On the main adjustments page I pulled down some of the highlights and increased the whites  and decreased the blacks as well as increasing the clarity

But the main thing I did was go into the local adjustment brushes and applied them to the unwanted centre highlight - with contrast reduced, highlights reduced and whites reduced. The aim was to pull those

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This isn't overexposed in the sense of unrecoverable burn-out. It's just poorly lit from directly overhead.

Some reflection along the sides is desirable, just to give a sense of texture and surface. But the big blob of reflection in the middle should be eliminated, and you do that with the lighting setup. That's nothing Photoshop can fix, or at least not without some tedious and time-consuming work that will most likely end up looking fake.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to agree with D Fosse. The lighting is simply not great and it probably wouldn't hurt to do some prep on the leather as well.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mylenium first of all thank you for your response, what kind of prep on the leather would you recommend me to do the next time?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree the secret here is to take the photograph with well adjusted lighting, but sometimes that isn't an option. You can enhance the existing image in a million ways, but the trick is not to over do things and make the image look fake.

wallet.png

Above is your original and below a mildly enhanced version with more contrast between the shadows and highlights. The original purse or wallet-not sure what it is-looks quite old to me and a little battered. As Dag points out it has a horrible flare in the center, but the highlights at the edge does give it a three dimensional look

wallet2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As the others all said - it needs reshooting with better lighting.

However - if you are absolutely stuck with it - try the camera raw filter with local adjustment brushes in the centre section to bring down the highlights and reduce the contrast of the flare.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much to all for your quick answers. I´ll try to configure better the camera and lightning next time i take pictures davescm​ i like what you did with the picture, how did you do it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I put a mask round it so it would show against a plain white fill background.

Then I converted to a smart object and used the camera raw filter.

On the main adjustments page I pulled down some of the highlights and increased the whites  and decreased the blacks as well as increasing the clarity

But the main thing I did was go into the local adjustment brushes and applied them to the unwanted centre highlight - with contrast reduced, highlights reduced and whites reduced. The aim was to pull those bright highs down to a mid tone

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm totally impressed with your explanation Dave, there's no doubt you master photoshop.

Next time I find the same problem I'll follow your recommendations!!

Thank you very much my friend.

javier

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As this is product photography accurate reproduction is going to be essential as clients will expect that, but if there is some scope to create something aesthetically pleasing but not as realistic  then Photoshop is good for that.

wallet4.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I totally agree with you @Terri, I have to be as much accurate as I can, as a consumer I expect to receive a product as shown at the pictures whenever I buy something online.

Thats the reason I want to do things professionally, although is takes more time.

The thing is that photoshop for beginners is a challenge, because is a program design for professionals, so I must take it easy!

Thanks for your help.

Javier

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'd still recommend you look more closely at your lighting. It'll save you a ton of time and effort.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines