• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I modify how a link is created in InDesign?

Enthusiast ,
Jan 25, 2017 Jan 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I had trouble wording the title so it made sense. Here's the issue. I create documents in InDesign. At the top of each page, is a list of "chapters" that are links. So in InDesign, I create hyperlinks that take you to a different page in the document, depending on what link you click on. When I export the document as a pdf, these links work fine. However, someone else then takes that pdf and merges it (using a program called "Select PDF," if that's relevant). When that happens, the links no longer work.

We did a test, and realized that if I create the links in Acrobat when the InDesign file has already been exported as a pdf... THOSE links work. So I found the "style" or "type" of links are different, when you look at them (see image below). The ones created by Acrobat are "cleaner."

Putting in all the links on all pages by hand in Acrobat is not a good solution. It would take me a long time to do ONE report... and I have to do many reports. So my question is, how can I create "cleaner" links from InDesign... that are similar to the ones created in Acrobat.

I'm using the Creative Cloud Suite on an iMac, just FYI.

julieInDesign links.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you creating the links in Acrobat before the Select PDf merge or after?

Why do you have to use Select PDF for the merge? Obviously that's the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created the links in Acrobat before merging the documents. The guy who merges them did a text, and those links then worked fine... once the documents were merged.

I have asked  him why he uses Select PDF. He will let me know. I'll post the answer as soon as I hear back from him.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TEST not TEXT

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I figured TEST.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I got a response. Here is why we use SelectPDF:

"We are building a custom report PDF on demand for our clients. So we use selectPDF to merge and edit multiple PDFs to create a custom report for them. The links work correctly when the template report is converted to a PDF first and then added via acrobat. But if the links are created in InDesign before converting to a PDF, then links become corrupted after merging and building the final report via our server."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Feb 04, 2017 Feb 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thought I'd reply to boost this up. It's something I really need to figure out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I just did a test on adding pages from  one ID document to another and my hyperlinks work just fine.

But I realize that you're using PAGE hyperlinks and I use Text Anchor hyperlinks.

If think if you use Text Anchor hyperlinks in the InDesign file, you may not have the problem. I think what is happening is when you merge the documents, Acrobat can't find the same page number that the ID file created for the link.

Let us know if this helps. (PS: Creating text anchor hyperlinks is more work, but if it solves your problem, do you really care?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh thank you! I hadn't thought of doing them that way. I'll give it a try and will see if it solves the problem.

julie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 01, 2017 Mar 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Julie,

Were you able to find success with Sandee's suggestion? Please let us know if you need further help.

Best,

Wren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Mar 01, 2017 Mar 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No, I was never able to get anything to work. So the guy handling the PDFs is working out a solution on his end.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines