• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I blur a background?

Engaged ,
Feb 04, 2017 Feb 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the best way to blur a distracting background in a photo? I want to keep the general shapes and colors but reduce the sharpness of the details.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 04, 2017 Feb 04, 2017

1.Use select and mask to select the parts you do not want to blur and output as a "New layer with layer mask"

2. Click on the mask in the channels panel and at the bottom of the panel click on the dotted circle to load the mask as a selection

3. Now go to your background layer - turn the visibility on with the eye symbol  and Edit - Fill -Content aware

4. You can now Deselect your selection and then use Filter - Blur - Gaussian Blur to blur the background layer.

Steps 2 and 3 are necessary to preven

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1.Use select and mask to select the parts you do not want to blur and output as a "New layer with layer mask"

2. Click on the mask in the channels panel and at the bottom of the panel click on the dotted circle to load the mask as a selection

3. Now go to your background layer - turn the visibility on with the eye symbol  and Edit - Fill -Content aware

4. You can now Deselect your selection and then use Filter - Blur - Gaussian Blur to blur the background layer.

Steps 2 and 3 are necessary to prevent a blurred image of your foreground appearing as a halo

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I did not add above is when blurring in Step 4 it is best to convert the layer to a smart object and then apply the filter. That way it is non -destructive and you can adjust the blur later if required.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are a number of ways, depending on the type of image and your skills.

A quick and dirty method would be (and use a copy, not your original photo):

1) In the Layers panel duplicate your image to a separate layer (ctrl/cmd J).

1a) If you know how to add a Layer mask to the top layer that would make your actions non-destructive.

2) Apply a gaussian blur to the top layer (Filter > Blur > Gauassian blur).

3) Use the Eraser tool on the top layer to remove the blurred part that you want in focus (If you temporarily reduce Opacity to the top layer it will help you see what has to be removed.

4) Save the image as a JPG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the background is out of focus even slightly, while the main subject in the photo (foreground) is in-focus, you may want to try to use a relatively new function from the menu Select > Focus Area, this would be a very fast way to select foreground then inverse to the background then add blur as detailed in above posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2017 Sep 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave, I am trying to follow these directions, since I have had the problem of blurring on the object I'm trying to keep sharp. In step 2, however, I don't understand how to do it. In the paths panel, I just have a blank box. So I click on the mask icon at the bottom and get a white rectangle. but it won't let me click on the dotted circle at the bottom. Can you help me with this? I am relatively new at PS. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 27, 2017 Sep 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow - I don't know what I was thinking when I wrote that. Step 2 should of course have read "Click on the mask in the channels panel...................."

I have corrected it above - thanks for pointing it out

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 30, 2017 Sep 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So nice to know that it wasn't just my ineptitude! thanks for your correction - I'll give that a try. I also discovered while fumbling around that if I convert the image to a smart object and create the selection/mask from there, I don't seem to have the problem with a blurred mask - does that sound right to you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 30, 2017 Sep 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No - put it down to my ineptitude when typing the original answer

The steps to create a fill before blurring are just to prevent the subject itself from becoming part of the blur, which can create a halo type effect around the sharp part of the image. There are other ways - such as cutting the subject out etc. Without seeing your layer panel it is hard to comment on what exactly you did with the Smart Object.  However, if it works for you - go with it.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 11, 2019 Apr 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Dave.

Thanks so much for your instructions. I'm a Photoshop newbie, and having trouble understanding layers and how to "output as 'new layer with mask.' " I don't see this option. Am I missing a step? Do I start with a background layer?

(Apologies for my ignorance).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Just to confirm - are you using the current version of Photoshop?

If so, after using Select and Mask you need to expand the "Output Settings" section by clicking teh arrow. There you will see the "Output to" choices.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Found it! Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines