• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to display InDesign document in fullscreen mode (without bars/pallettes)?

Explorer ,
Feb 04, 2017 Feb 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I use Photoshop and Illustrator, where by pressing the F key I can switch them to several display modes including the real fullscreen, where only the document itself is visible and I can work on it. I am trying to find such a view in InDesign as well, but no way. In fact, there is such a mode — Presentation — but I cannot edit the document such a way, so it is useless for my purposes. Can someone help?

Thanks.

[Moved from non-technical Forum Lounge to specific Program forum... Mod]

[Here is the list of all Adobe forums... https://forums.adobe.com/welcome]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sh+W is the shortcut for Presentation mode, and Esc gets you back out. But it's not an editing mode, as you mentioned.

A better alternative would be:

With any tool selected except the Type tool, press Tab to hide the workspace and Tab to bring it back. This works in Ps and Ai as well. The menus will remain, but the Tools panel, Control panels and the panels on the right will be removed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Barb,

In my experience, Shift-W also gets you out of Presentation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tab hides all panels.

Shift-Tab hides all panels but leaves the Control panel visible. Much more handy for editing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I know that I can hide/display all panels by pressing Tab. But as you mentioned - menus and some kind of bodrer still remains. In Ps and Ai there is a much better mode where nothing is visible except the document. That is the display option I am trying to find in InDesign. But it looks like there is not one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not that is editable. As you have discovered, these three applications have a lot in common, but the interface is not identical. They are maintained by three separate engineering teams

You can file a feature request here, though:

Wishform - Adobe InDesign

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BarbBinder​ answered this fairly well. These are your only choices in InDesign.

Preview (W) plus hiding the panels with Tab is the best you can get in InDesign as of February 2017.

You can also turn off the Application bar if you are on a Mac.

I tried creating a Workspace because you can assign a keyboard shortcut to a workspace, but all the panels came back. Maybe it would work if they were closed instead of just hidden with Tab.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks all of you for help/discussion. You confirmed that I am looking for something that InDesign (unfortunately) misses.

Have nice days!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 24, 2017 Apr 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has this latest release boasting UI enhancements added the "Full Screen Mode With Menu Bar" like mode Ps & Ai have?
It surely needs it, as the panels columns, even collapsed, eat up so much space with an empty column spanning the whole length of the screen even without panel icons, same with tool bar why waste all empty space?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 24, 2017 Apr 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In a word, no, not in the 2017.1 Release.

You can see the New Features here:

New features summary for the 2017 releases of InDesign CC

And you can put in a feature request here by going to Help> Submit Bug/Feature Request. This is the best way to let the InDesign team know what you are looking for!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines