• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Effects Launches but No Windows Open - El Capitan

New Here ,
Feb 04, 2017 Feb 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I thought was happening was the After Effects windows were located off screen, as I'm running a separate external monitor.  However, I've tried numerous things and can't get any windows to show up. All of my other creative cloud apps open and run fine, and I've had AE running fine on this machine before.

After Effects launches, no splash page comes up on screen like the other creative cloud apps showing the program launching. The file, edit, etc, menu bar comes up in the upper left hand corner. Initially I'm unable to select any options in the dropdown menus, however, if I hit enter I'm able to select options like open new project, etc.  Nothing happens when I select any of those or any of the window layout options as well.

So far I've tried reseting the app preference by deleting the pref file manually, as well as launching the program with command + option + shift held down.

I've tried changing both of my screens resolutions to see if the windows are located off screen, which didn't work

I've uninstalled, restarted and reinstalled a few different versions of AE: Versions 14.0.1, 14.0.0, 13.8.0 I get the same thing with all of them.

Tried doing first aid in the disk utility on my main HD.

Here's my specs:

Macbook Pro Mid 2009

OS X El Capitan

2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

8GB RAM

Nvidia Geforce 9600 GT 512MB

Thanks for any help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of AE? Did it ever work? Did you try resetting your external monitor to Mirror? Do you see the AE program icon bouncing in the dock when you try and open AE? Can you see the AE icon when you use Ctrl/Cmnd + tab to switch between programs.

The only time I had this happen with my MacBook pro I was editing with a 4K monitor connected and I'd moved AE completely to the 4K monitor, then I forgot to move it back when I shut down and went back to my studio. I set the display preferences to maximum resolution and then reset them and nuked my AE preferences on launch and it showed back up. I'm on Sierra now and have not had the same problem again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick,

I tried the 3 latest versions 14.0.1,14.0.0,13.8.0

Also tried mirroring the monitors, still nothing.

I can see the AE icon bouncing when it opens and I can cmd+tab to switch to the application, but none of the windows show up at all. It's very strange.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you right click on the icon in the dock and select display in another desktop or All desktops or this desktop? It's an idea...

Screen Shot 2017-02-04 at 10.02.45 PM.png

I guess you figured out I'm working in Lightroom right now..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think El Capitan has that assign to function, it doesn't show up for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 03, 2017 Mar 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi JaradT,

Apologies for this frustration. Are you still experiencing this UI weirdness? I suggest you work with our agents on this issue. Please let us know the solution if you found one.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines