• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Ligatures

Explorer ,
Feb 05, 2017 Feb 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, can you help me how to switch off ligatures generally? I know how to on/off it in the character style. But when I made a new document, then ligatures are set always on in any new paragraph, so I have to manually set it off in each new paragraph. I looked at preference but unsuccessfully. And (not in aech document) when I open an old document (ID5, ID2015), ligatures are on instead it were off before in some (not each) paragraph. !

Thx a lot for any help... Ilja

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make all changes to your settings and character and paragraph styles when no document is open. InDesign will apply those changes to any new document, but not change existing documents.

Please work only with Paragraph and Character Styles and don't work with manual overrides. You can also set up styles, when no document is open, so any new document comes with those styles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 07, 2017 Feb 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thx a lot for reply... The problem is, that the original document is without ligatures. And when I reopen it, then some paragraphs have ligatures set instead original document. And any new document has ligatures set on like "as default" in any new paragraph.
I checked ID with no document opened and "basic paragraph" (I am using Czech version, so I don't know the right name) has not ligatures set. An I am working with hunderd documents and most of them has own paragraph styles and I have to check always if ligatures are set or not. And I am not creator of most of them... .Ilja

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have a look at your Paragraph Styles options under the OpenType features, Discretionary Ligatures.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thx a lot for reply. All opentype features are set to off... Ilja

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are in a document, you can change defaults for that document, and it won't change any other document. If you make some changes with nothing selected, you change defaults. This includes it you turn on Text Wrap, turn off ligatures, click a Paragraph style, click an Object style, and much more.

If you make the same changes with nothing open, you change all future documents, but not existing ones.

If you delete your Preferences file, you go back to InDesign's original preferences. This does not change existing documents.

There is more to this, but that's it, briefly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thx a lot for reply...
Yes, it is true, but not in my documents... Only ligatures is the problem. All others works as designed.
Good point is preferences file, I will test it.

I hoped that I overlooked it in "preference menu" or something like this... All looks like that the problem has not easy solution. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here’s the thread in Scripting Forum with exactly this question discussed and answered. Use script provided there for text styles, then I would advice to run simple Find/Change to hunt for overridden Character Styles or local formatting:

ligatures.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thx a lot for reply... in Id2015 and above is a magic button for it and you don't need script any more.

When you select any text (or all text) and click there, all overrides are gone 🙂 including ligatures if are not set in the paragraph.
My problem is, that ligatures are set there after reopening document instead original document, where ligatures were off. !
Ilja

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

cadispraha wrote:

in Id2015 and above is a magic button for it and you don't need script any more.

In CC2014 and below that thing is here, too. It was here, when the script was written, guess why

When you select any text (or all text) and click there, all overrides are gone 🙂 including ligatures

I almost never use it, since find it pretty useless and even dangerous (well, not safe). Please do avoid applying manual overrides as much as you can. If nevertheless they already are there, that stupid magic button will remove (you know it) ALL of them from selected text, not only ligatures! Are you sure it always is what you want? And how many stories you have to check? 100, 200, more? Life's too short for this kind of work...

if are not set in the paragraph.

And what if they are? Again, how many ParaStyles to check? 10, 20, 50?

That is what the script does: turns off the only checkbox in your Styles - ligatures. And leaves all other (possible) overrides intact. And does it in one go!

After it, F/C takes care about text with no ParaStyle applied or manually overridden with ligatures (if present; shouldn't be in a good layout).

If you are absolutely sure about your ParaStyles, well, the F/C is enough.

It's possible, you've got already all decent suggestions. There still may be something nobody will guess without seeing actual file. May you consider uploading a representative piece somewhere? Someone may find interesting to look up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines