Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Place all Microsoft Word pages in the .indd document

Community Beginner ,
Feb 03, 2017 Feb 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello.

I need to place all word's document pages into one indd document.

For now the following code placing only the first page:

var myDocument = app.documents.add();

myDocument.viewPreferences.horizontalMeasurementUnits = MeasurementUnits.points;

myDocument.viewPreferences.verticalMeasurementUnits = MeasurementUnits.points;

var myX = myDocument.pages.item(0).marginPreferences.left;

var myY = myDocument.pages.item(0).marginPreferences.top;

myDocument.pages.add();

var myStory = myDocument.pages[0].place(File("C:/js/klb.doc"),[myX, myY],undefined,false,true);

var pcount = myStory.length;

//var myPDFExportPreset = app.pdfExportPresets.item("prepress");

myDocument.exportFile(ExportFormat.pdfType,File("C:/js/HelloWorld.pdf"));

app.documents.item(0).close();

place() method returns an array with only one item - so i can not iteraqte over the pages.

Could you please give an advice how to map each .doc page into separate .indd page?

Thanks.

-Alex.

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 03, 2017 Feb 03, 2017

Hi Alex,

are you sure that the story of the text frame that is created is only holding one page of the Word document?
Did you check for overset text? It's not clear how your InDesign's preferences for automatic text flow are set.

If there is more text in the story that the text frame can actually hold, you have to add text frames to the story.

Also see the problem for recomposing text by working with a loop for adding text frames while a story overflows.

You can find some discussions about that here

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Feb 03, 2017 Feb 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Alex,

are you sure that the story of the text frame that is created is only holding one page of the Word document?
Did you check for overset text? It's not clear how your InDesign's preferences for automatic text flow are set.

If there is more text in the story that the text frame can actually hold, you have to add text frames to the story.

Also see the problem for recomposing text by working with a loop for adding text frames while a story overflows.

You can find some discussions about that here in the forum. Also important: Your InDesign version.

FWIW:

You cannot map the pages of a Word doc exactly to pages of InDesign without having page break special characters in your word file that indicate where to break.

You can manage the import a bit by setting inDesign's

app.wordRTFImportPreferences

See especially property convertPageBreaks

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 04, 2017 Feb 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Uwe.

1.>> If there is more text in the story that the text frame can actually hold,

-Exactly

According to the description of the place() method parameter the last one seems to be for the automatic additional frames adding.

.place(File("C:/js/klb.doc"),[myX, myY],undefined,false,true);

2.But it does not. Although it works in case of adding the linked frames to the initial one.

I mean i can to place and link the empty frames before the placing of doc file - but the issue is to define the word document page   amount before the placing to add exact the same amoount of frames.

3.>>Also see the problem for recomposing text by working with a loop for adding text frames while a story overflows.
   I've found some example of this solution - I'm going to try to implement it.

4.>>You can manage the import a bit by setting inDesign's app.wordRTFImportPreferences See especially property convertPageBreaks

The page breaks are not the issue in my case (at least with my current word document). I've seen this properties set before - seems like the adjusting of this could be the next step.

Thanks.

-Alex.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 05, 2017 Feb 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Alex,

what is the object you are using method place() with?

If it is the Page object the method comes indeed with 5 arguments, arguments 2 to 5 are optional:

fileName

placePoint

destinationLayer

autoflowing

withProperties

If it is insertionPoint only 2 arguments are possible:

fileName

withProperties

I tested with object Page and a text file with page.place() and had no problems to autoflow the whole text.
Maybe you do not use page.place(), but insertionPoint.place() ?

Or something's in your Word document that makes the whole story overflow permanently?

An image perhaps?

Just tested this with an image of dimensions that exceeds the area that the column margins of the InDesign page suggests.
That's indeed a show stopper. The frames were automatically build up to the point where the image was placed in the doc file.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, Uwe.

1.The call was for the page:

The call was the exact

myDocument.pages[0].place( File("C:/js/klb.doc"), //File

[myX, myY],               //PlacePoint

undefined,                 //DestinationPoint

false,                         //ShowingOptions

true);                         //Awtoflowing

Although I've found slightly another parameters order for place() function.

May be I've mixed the arguments into the wrong places.

But as far as I remember - I've attempted to apply different combinations of false/true.

2.My doc is pure text without page breaks or something like this.

It works for the first page i mean I've got pdf with only one filled page with one text frame (overflowed I suppose) with all doc   text within.

Thanks.

-Alex.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Strange.
What is the exact version of InDesign?

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello, Uwe.

The issue was with the wrong parameters order.

Your order is correct.

For doc it works fine (in 10 secs for 148 pages).

But the server hangs with docx.

Thanks.

-Alex.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines