• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I am formatting a play in InDesign CC and having problems. When I close-up one line it throws others off.

Contributor ,
Feb 05, 2017 Feb 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's an example. Superman's dialogue should be separated from the line for Martinez above it.  When I separate the lines, it throws other lines off on other pages. So when I fix these problems, it just creates others.

MARTINEZ

Why forced?

SUPERMAN

The paper was bought by Rupert Murdoch.

MARTINEZ

And now?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Mentor , Feb 05, 2017 Feb 05, 2017

Some basic highlights how to handle text like yours...

Capture1.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Capture3.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moved your question to InDesign for the Lounge is not where you will receive technical help. If you do not receive any help here please let us know and we will move to another forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, sorry Kat. Thank you for moving it. Do I need to do anything else?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes - to give us more info.

What OS, version? InDesign version? How do you 'separate the lines'? By hitting Enter/Return? Which? On a main keyboard, on a numeric pad? These keys act differently in ID.

And this: 'when I fix these problems'. How, I wonder? If you found a right way to do what you want, why do it wrongly again?

And it would be nice to see a screenshot with non-printing symbols visible...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Mac Sierra  InDesign CC 2017. Yes, I hit return on MacBook Pro's keyboard to space down  (can't use space bar). I can provide a screen-shot but I don't see an upload button here.

What I meant to say is that when I hit the return key to properly separate the text...other sections close-up incorrectly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm guessing I should be using the "Keep" function in Styles? Not sure how to implement it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2017-02-05 at 11.33.55 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another problem that crops up when separating text...on the next page lines get spaced down in the text frame like this:

Screen Shot 2017-02-05 at 12.33.36 PM.png

The name Martinez should be up against the purple line, top of text frame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, you found out how to upload pics, good.

Your main problem, I guess (you don't show hidden chars) is using 'empty line' (carriage return) as a spacing - don't do this!

First of all, two separate Paragraph styles should be created, and all proper settings defined there (not only spacing):

spacing.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I will try a new paragraph style.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And just to be clear: under the Return key you mean the key on the main keyboard? Have you numpad at all? it may be important.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, there's  no number pad on the laptop. I do have an external keyboard but I'm not using that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And you have no issues with entering regular carriage return? Lines below doesn't jump to another column/frame/page? Just to be clear and exclude possible problem...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I use the return key the spacing becomes correct, but then other lines are thrown off.  I will try creating a new paragraph style.

I was thinking I might try turning off "allow shuffle"  ?

Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure from your description, possibly it acts like a numpad key should do (some people report this). If so, try Fn+Return combination - is it better? Few minutes later I'll show you some basic screenshots on formatting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some basic highlights how to handle text like yours...

Capture1.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Capture3.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is great -- THANK YOU!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Glad to hear. Are you sure you marked proper answer as 'correct'?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are good to go... hope you find the help you need here!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines