• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't Make the Intersecting Lines Disappear

New Here ,
Feb 05, 2017 Feb 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For a print, I need to convert our logo to one color. The current logo is seven shapes that overlap. Each shape is semi-transparent. This means that when you view the logo, it's made up of lots of colors where the shapes are overlapping each other. Very pretty.

For the one-color print job, what I've done is convert each shape to white. Kinda boring. So I want to set it up so that the borders which intersect are "cut out" (AKA transparent). This way the logo will maintain its unique design with each smaller overlapping area being preserved. It's all in white though. Does this make sense?

There are no borders on the shapes. They're laid out precisely with no overlap, so even if they had borders, deleting the border wouldn't give me the result I seek. I've also tried selecting all seven shapes, grouping them, and then using all the pathfinder tools to achieve the result. All I get is the whole thing disappearing except a small portion. So I then tried only selecting two shapes and then using all the pathfinder options. Nothing. The logo is all on one-layer.

Any other suggestions? This is driving me absolutely batty.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"A picture is worth a thousand words."

Version of InDesign? Can you attach a screen capture, please. Use the "Insert Image" button in the forum editor to attach so we can see it (sending by email won't work).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I realize this is the InDesign forum, but this logo really sounds like a job for Illustrator, using the Shape Builder Tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd agree, much easier in Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup. Do it in Illy.

The right tool for the right job.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You know, I totally blanked out. I spend most of my time in InDesign, so yeah, this is something I definitely was working on in Illustrator. Whoops.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You know, I totally blanked out. I spend most of my time in InDesign, so yeah, this is something I definitely was working on in Illustrator. Whoops.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Taking this out since I realized I meant this to go in the Illustrator forums. Sorry about that!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines