• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

'Paint on Transparent' problem. Please Help!

Community Beginner ,
Feb 05, 2017 Feb 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

So I am currently trying to reveal an image layer in AE using the brush tool as a mask, so I am painting on a new solid layer (white background, black for the paint color), and using a silhouette luma to reveal my image. This part works fine.

In addition, I want to add a 'Roughen Edges' effect to the BRUSH STROKES ONLY, not the entire silhouette luma layer itself. From a different forum I found a post on how to do this:

"Create a solid, choose that solid - dobule ckick so it opens that layer. Paint something with brush tool. Then go this solid effects panel - click on "paint on transperent" then add Roughen Edges right after it."

The problem I have is that whenever I click on the "Paint on Transparent' box, the entire layer disappears and I can no longer see ANY paint strokes or any other part of the layer. The whole thing just disappears. I added some screenshots as to what is happening.

with PAINT ON TRANSPARENT off:

Screen Shot 2017-02-05 at 7.15.45 PM.png

with PAINT ON TRANSPARENT on:

Screen Shot 2017-02-05 at 7.15.54 PM.png

I've tried pre-comping layers and adding duplicates of the image below, but to no avail.

Any thoughts as to why this is? Am I missing something?

Any and all help is appreciated!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Feb 05, 2017 Feb 05, 2017

Ah I figured it out. Paint settings need to be on RGBA!

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

luma mattes won't work if you only have back. use stencil alpha instead of silhouette luma

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Roel, but it doesn't help the main problem with the "Paint on Transparent' button. In either stencil alpha or silhouette luma, the entire layer along with the brush strokes on it completely vanish.

Any other thoughts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah I figured it out. Paint settings need to be on RGBA!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 06, 2017 Feb 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this too apparently. the software probably should give you, as you click "paint on transparent", a warning message: no transparent channels but maybe that's asking too much. but you could probably know something is wrong if you clicked the checkbox before you set the matte options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2020 Mar 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks a lot .I had the same problem and was searching the answer since yesterday.

This works PAINT settings need to be on RGBA..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2021 May 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am facing the same issue, but I have already created 600+ paint strokes. How can I change the existing paint strokes to RGBA?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines