• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Migrating from Aperture to Lightroom - folder structure

New Here ,
Feb 02, 2017 Feb 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When attempting to migrate from Aperture (managed library) to Lightroom and when using the Adobe plug-in, I suddenly get all of my imported images grouped in separate daily folders.  That is to say, the folders are not nested and I end-up with effectively 1,000 folders for three years of photos which makes file management rather unwieldy.  Is there a way to define that you want the folders nested by year then month?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 02, 2017 Feb 02, 2017

You can add year/month folders yourself, and then drag day folders into the appropriate buckets.

There's not an automatic method.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can add year/month folders yourself, and then drag day folders into the appropriate buckets.

There's not an automatic method.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks for the quick comment.  Yes, that's what I had feared.  I saw a post online (see below) which seems to indicate that the import nested the folders by default (see the 'Organizing' section).  I will reach out to the author and see what he says.  Rather frustrating however I don't see much of an option otherwise.

Migrating from Aperture to Lightroom - Sam Doran

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before you do anything, right click a date folder and see if Show Parent Folder is enabled. If so, choose it and maybe repeat.

What I am thinking is that the year and the month levels are just hidden. If so, sorry if I misled you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, ok so I think that might have been the problem (I think!).  Fortunately my first step was to migrate the photo's onto a new drive (seems that's going to take 24 hrs) so I hadn't quite started moving photo's around.  I did try it out quickly on another catalogue and seemed to show the year folders on top.  I'll tackle the catalogue in the morning and comment back.  Thanks for your help on this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS Do the moves bit by bit.

And a little tip is that Option clicking an upper level folder will expand/close all its child folders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, good point.  Yes, thanks for the tip.  I will give it a go this afternoon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2017 Feb 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Check out photoappsexpert.com  Joseph has a or of good advice.

Susan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines