Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After effects Sum Numbers & expressions

Explorer ,
Feb 05, 2017 Feb 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Goodmorning guys and to all forum!

I would like to ask a question...I would like to build a project which I will change two numbers and all of the following take place automatically! Explain...

Part 1:

I have to layers, Number 1 and Number 2. Suppose I put to the No1 the value 15 and to the No2 the value 5. Automatically i want to a new layer sum this numbers (20) like the photo.

11.jpg

12.jpg

Part 2:

Next, I would like to built a chart below take the prices automatically according to the numbers that I gave. Explain...

From the above sum, i want the layer with the value 20 understands automatically that is the 100%. So to the chart the shapes changes automatically and understands that for the No1 with the value 15 is the 75% (15*100/20) and for the No2 with the value 5 is the 25% (5*100/20).

Probably i need for the value of the mumbers a Solid with Numbers effect and not a text? And if someone knows the expressions...

Sorry for my english, is not very well

Thank you all - Σας ευχαριστώ όλους (in Greek)

friendly John K.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 06, 2017 Feb 06, 2017

In your code the reference merely points to the layer name. A correct notation would be

thisComp.layer("A").text.sourceText

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No requirement for any Numbers effect. Native text layers can happily accept all kinds of expressions in their source Text property and in case of an addition, it works just like in the real world: a+b=c. Conversely, converting to percentages would be merely another division and multiplication, though yopu would wire it through a linear() interpolator. Therefore you get:

a=15;

b=5;

c=a+b;

percent_a=linear(a,0,c,0,100);

percent_a=linear(b,0,c,0,100);

The same formulas could then be applied to the scale of a rectangle or a linear wipe effect to control the length of your bars. You really don't need much more than this trivial stuff. Of course you may want to link the inputs to sliders or the actual input text layers for easy changes.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...however, I reecommend that you avoid LARGE numbers.  You would soon run out of room on the screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 06, 2017 Feb 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

problem.jpg

thank you my friend for immediate response! But this works only  if you change the value in expression. When I connect with text layer  and change  from there the value,  display problem in expression . I want to change the value in first text layer, then in the second text layer and the third layer take the sum of this automatically...If in first text give the number 10, in second 20, should the third layer give the number 30  automatically... Thanks you again...John K.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your code the reference merely points to the layer name. A correct notation would be

thisComp.layer("A").text.sourceText

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the inconvenience again, but joins me numbers, no adds them...

Thanks you again for your time my friend!

problem.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, sorry. AE treats them as strings. You neet to convert them to numbers again:

parseInt(thisComp.layer("A").text.sourceText)

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are Master, Faster, Sweet Disaster!

Thanks my friend! You are welcome!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2024 Mar 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Hello. 

Good morning. So I am trying to get 3 different source text layers to come to a total number and I am not able to figure this one out so far. 

This is the expression I wrote:

var currentAmmount = parseInt(thisComp.layer("Drink 1 - Sum").text.sourceText + thisComp.layer("Drink 2 - Sum").text.sourceText + thisComp.layer("Drink 3 - Sum").text.sourceText);

'$' + currentAmmount.toLocaleString(); 

The result is $ NaN .... ????

Thank you for any helping voice out there

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me your expression doesn't return NaN but the concatenation of values

try this expresion:

var currentAmmount = 
parseInt(thisComp.layer("Drink 1 - Sum").text.sourceText) + 
parseInt(thisComp.layer("Drink 2 - Sum").text.sourceText) + 
parseInt(thisComp.layer("Drink 3 - Sum").text.sourceText);

'$' + currentAmmount.toLocaleString();

screenshot_1.png

screenshot_2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gotcha! That makes a lot of sense. Sorry I am a total newbie at this stuff

🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess I jumped the gun. I thought it would work but the source for each "drink" is not a number but a function with a sum of data relating to a series of days... I tried your expression and it still doesn't work. What's NaN?

Thank you

Screenshot 2024-03-01 at 3.07.09 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You need to use parseInt() :

parseInt(thisComp.layer("data.json")("Data")("Outline")(drink)("Sunday")) + 
parseInt(thisComp.layer("data.json")("Data")("Outline")(drink)("Monday")) + 
// and so on...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines