Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Inside bleed overlapping other page when exporting as spread

Explorer ,
Feb 06, 2017 Feb 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm having some difficulty exporting a spread without the bleed of one of the pages overlapping the other one.

So I have a background on every page to make the paper look like some sort of old scroll.

Every scroll paper has 3mm bleed on each side since it will be sometimes used on left side and sometimes on the right side.
But for some reason one page is always overlapping another (since InDesign puts spreads in the same layer structure instead of two separate ones). (fig 1)

I want to have a result like fig 2 when exporting as spread but still be able to export them as singles with bleed on each side without needing to manually crop every inside of every page...

I tried making single pages and shuffling them back to a spread with a gap between them to zero-out the bleed (fig 3) but then I just get a spread with a double inside bleed. (fig 4)

So is there a way to to this without the hassle of manually cropping every page? Maybe by merging singles back to spreads in Acrobat Pro?
But I can't find how to crop the inside bleed then...

Thanks!

fig 1.

Screen Shot 2017-02-06 at 13.55.14.png

fig 2.

Screen Shot 2017-02-06 at 13.55.28.png

fig 3.

Screen Shot 2017-02-06 at 14.02.37.png

fig 4.

Screen Shot 2017-02-06 at 13.55.47.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 06, 2017 Feb 06, 2017

The easiest way to handle background art like this is run a single image as a crossover:

A17x11 image across a letter master spread:

Screen Shot 2017-02-06 at 1.34.46 PM.png

The pages:

Screen Shot 2017-02-06 at 1.35.07 PM.png

Exported with all bleeds:

Screen Shot 2017-02-06 at 1.40.16 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How is this being bound (saddle stitched, perfect bound etc)? Most binding doesn't require inside bleed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Danny, I know that the bleed isn't necessary, but if I remove the inside bleed I would have to manually crop every scroll paper on the inside.
Otherwise I get the result as shown below.
As you can see, the right page is overlapping the left page.
What I want is that the inside bleed is cropped in the middle where the crop mark is.

I was wondering why this isn't an option when exporting a pdf since this would be a lot less time consuming.

Screen Shot 2017-02-06 at 15.33.15.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like you have these pages on the Master Pages? You need to crop them at the spine on the Master pages. if they extend past the edge of the page, they'll overlap each other like you see. make sure that they stop at the spine and that should resolve the issue on the document pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The easiest way to handle background art like this is run a single image as a crossover:

A17x11 image across a letter master spread:

Screen Shot 2017-02-06 at 1.34.46 PM.png

The pages:

Screen Shot 2017-02-06 at 1.35.07 PM.png

Exported with all bleeds:

Screen Shot 2017-02-06 at 1.40.16 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines