Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom colors wrong compared to Ps and print

Community Beginner ,
Feb 06, 2017 Feb 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm having an issue with the way Lightroom reproduces the images. I have recently purchased a wide gamut monitor, an Eizo ColorEdge CS2420, which I hardware calibrated, so maybe that is the issue. Before that I was using my laptop screen and never saw color differences between Lightroom / Photoshop / inkjet print. Now I consistently see quite a huge difference in colors in Lightroom, while Photoshop still matches the print very closely. I have already turned off GPU processing in all applications, since by reading other posts I understood that it could lead to color differences between the programs.

Just for information, I develop in Lightroom, then open a .tiff copy in Photoshop for further edits, and finally soft proof and print the .tiff copy from Lightroom.

If anybody can help I would appreciate it. At the moment I'm very confused and thinking about soft proofing in Photoshop, since Lightroom is not reliable. But I would prefer to keep my old workflow.

Below the same image from Lightroom (top) and from Photoshop (bottom) (the one from Photoshop is correct as it closely matches the final print).

Lightroom.jpg

photoshop.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Re-calibrate your monitor and test. Change the monitor profile to sRGB and test (just for testing).

Sounds like a corrupted monitor profile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes this is most likely a corrupted or incompatible monitor profile.

Are you on Mac or Windows?

What make and model is your calibrator?

Are you using the Eizo Color Navigator software when calibrating, and if yes, what version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the quick feedback guys. I am on Windows 10, running the latest versions of Lightroom and Ps. I am calibrating my Eizo CS2420 with Color Navigator using an i1 Display Pro. Color Navigator is the latest version as well.

I created two sets of calibrations/profiles with Color Navigator, one for photo editing (native gamut) and one for web browinsg (sRGB gamut). Is it possible that I switched color profiles from Color Navigator while Lightroom was running and so messed up the color rendering? In any case I removed Lightroom, installed it again, then rebooted my PC and now colors between Lr, Ps and print match very closely.

I will also re-calibrate the monitor, just to be sure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When calibrating, make sure to set up Color Navigator to create a version 2.2 profile.

Lightroom is not compatible with version 4.2 profiles.

To set the profile version, start out by creating a new target. Highlight an existing target, and click Create a new target.

Color-navigator-target.png

Go through the process until this screen appears, and click Customize profile. Then choose Version 2.2.

Color-navigator-name.png

icc-version2.png

Having a separate monitor profile for web browsing shouldn't be necessary, and I can't really see that it would offer any advantage.

I also have an Eizo wide gamut monitor, and I have no problem with color in web browsers, as long as I use a color managed browser.

That means practically every browser, except Edge and Internet Explorer.

Firefox will in addition to being color managed also assign the sRGB profile to untagged images, provided it is set to Color management mode 1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Per,

thanks for your suggestion, I'm already using profile version 2.2. As a side question, I read online that it is advisable to uncheck reflect black level in tone curve, which I am doing at the moment, always in order to minimize color differences. I'd like to know your opinion on the subject. The topic was not explained very clearly in Color Navigator's user manual.

I'm using a profile with color gamut set to sRGB for everything except photo editing because otherwise the colors of Windows, such as icons, menus and so on, are otherwise very saturated, to the point that I find it difficult to look at the screen for long periods of time. I'm using Opera as a web browser and I can tell that with gamut set to native, colors of web pages are way too much saturated as well. So I find that setting the monitor to sRGB provides me with a better visual experience for browsing and normal usage of my PC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

alephz wrote:

I read online that it is advisable to uncheck reflect black level in tone curve, which I am doing at the moment, always in order to minimize color differences. I'd like to know your opinion on the subject. The topic was not explained very clearly in Color Navigator's user manual.

I can't really comment on that, except I think it's been checked when I have calibrated.

In any case, it shouldn't make LR and PS display differently.

I'm using a profile with color gamut set to sRGB for everything except photo editing because otherwise the colors of Windows, such as icons, menus and so on, are otherwise very saturated, to the point that I find it difficult to look at the screen for long periods of time. I'm using Opera as a web browser and I can tell that with gamut set to native, colors of web pages are way too much saturated as well. So I find that setting the monitor to sRGB provides me with a better visual experience for browsing and normal usage of my PC.

I have a CX 240, which is also wide gamut, and I'm not seeing this.

Of course apps that aren't color managed will be more saturated, but not to the extent that it bothers me.

I also use the Opera browser, and most web pages look normal to me.

How exactly are you switching profiles? By using the buttons on the monitor, and going between Cal and sRGB?

To return to the original problem - when LR and PS display differently, it's usually because of a defective monitor profile, unless -

- you are using the monitor profile as a working space in PS (Edit > Color settings)

- have Proof preview turned on in PS

I noticed that the image from LR has a yellow cast.

Does the histogram also have a yellow or brownish cast in the gray areas, like this?

yellow-histogram.png

If it does, there is no doubt that the monitor profile is broken

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 07, 2017 Feb 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a CX 240, which is also wide gamut, and I'm not seeing this.

Of course apps that aren't color managed will be more saturated, but not to the extent that it bothers me.

I also use the Opera browser, and most web pages look normal to me.

How exactly are you switching profiles? By using the buttons on the monitor, and going between Cal and sRGB?

I'm switching profile by using the contextual menu that appears when I click on the Color Navigator tray icon. I always stay in Cal mode. I would like to show you the increase in saturation in the Windows interface when using native gamut, but I could not find a way to do it .

To return to the original problem - when LR and PS display differently, it's usually because of a defective monitor profile, unless -

- you are using the monitor profile as a working space in PS (Edit > Color settings)

- have Proof preview turned on in PS

I noticed that the image from LR has a yellow cast.

Does the histogram also have a yellow or brownish cast in the gray areas, like this?

yellow-histogram.png

If it does, there is no doubt that the monitor profile is broken

As I wrote, at the moment I'm not experiencing the issue anymore. After I removed Lightroom from the CC app, removed the thumbnail folder as well, and then re-installed it the color differences disappeared and have not shown up again. So I canot comment on the histogram having a yellow cast. I will make sure to post further information here in case the problem appears again. In any case I was not proofing in Lr nor Ps when the problem showed up and the working space of Ps is set to Adobe RGB. In theory I would agree that it can be the case of a corrupted profile, but then I cannot expalin why now I'm not seeing any color discrepancy between the programs anymore. Thanks for the help guys!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2017 Mar 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I just discovered a very similar issue, only that I am printing grey scale. I edit my image in PS, and when I print it from there it matches my screen almost a 100%. When I export the image (embedded Adobe RGB, color space in PS is also set to Adobe RGB) as .tif and print it in Lightroom the print is noticeably brighter. I have triple checked the print and driver settings, they are the same...

I use Win10. My screen is calibrated with a Spyder 4 covers 100% Adobe RGB. Gamma is correctly set to 2.2.

One more note: Disabling the checkbox in PS that embeds the Adobe RGB space during export does not change anything.

Colormanagement for print is off in both PS and LR (advanced black&white mode, Epson 3880).

Any ideas?

Best regards

Sebastian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 19, 2017 Mar 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's a Tone setting in the Advanced black&white dialog to control brightness.

Are you using the same setting as in Photoshop?

3.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's set to "Darker" in PS and LR. I just imported the original PSD File to Lightroom, same result

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interestingly, when I print the image to JPG from the print module in LR and open up the image in PS, is see exactly the brightess/contrast increase I see in the printed image (print adjustment of brightness and contrast is set to 0!!).

When I export it from LR (export function), and open up the image in PS, I do NOT see the brightness increas. It looks identical to the PSD file.

It seems like LR is tweaking the image even if all tweaking options are disabeled?!?

As seen in PS: The LR "print to JPG" is on the left, the LR "exported" image is on the right (which matches the original PSD file):

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2017 Apr 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So now the Adobe Support gave me the tip to create a new Win10 user account and try printing to file there.

Guess what, the brightness does not change this time!

They told me the problem is solved and that I just can use the other account, but I still do not understand the root cause.

I want to avoid it happening (maybe without me noticing) again in the future.

Does anyone have an idea what user related settings can influence Print-to-file and actual printing in LR?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2017 Apr 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ha, I figured it out!

Lightroom just ignores that I have switched off the print adaption. Enabling it and setting it to 0 does the trick!!

So much about "it is not Lightroom's fault"...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

alephz may not be watching this month-old thread anymore, but just to clear up one thing:

I'm switching profile by using the contextual menu that appears when I click on the Color Navigator tray icon

You must relaunch the application when changing profiles. The profile is loaded at application startup, and used until next launch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines