Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Head Turning on New Puppet getting pretty warped

New Here ,
Feb 06, 2017 Feb 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All -

I've been running Adobe Character CC Beta 5 (x141) on OS X El Capitan.

I created a puppet in Illustrator (a dude), which I successfully brought into Character and tinkered with over a few days. Everything is going smoothly with the head tracker for that guy. I recently duplicated that Illustrator file, and edited all the layers to create a ballistically similar character, this time a girl. The main difference between them is that she has long hair in the front and the back (around 3 different pieces).

When I brought her into Character, I seemed to duplicate the steps I had followed to get the guy set up (enable Head Turner on the Head layer, add dangles to the necessary elements aka the hair, etc). But her face gets seriously warped, even though the guys face doesn't. Considering they have the _exact_ same face, the only culprit can be the hair, right?

Any help would be appreciated on this one. Thanks xo.

Rigging:

Screen Shot 2017-02-06 at 3.02.21 PM.png

These weird warps!

Screen Shot 2017-02-06 at 3.02.34 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-02-06 at 3.02.43 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-02-06 at 3.02.37 PM.png

But then the guy version is totally fine:

Screen Shot 2017-02-06 at 3.03.05 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-02-06 at 3.03.09 PM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice puppets! If you're seeing face warping, you could:

1. Try making each head view independent (if it isn't already).

2. Try making each face element independent and stapling them to the face.

So for example, if my face was really bending in a side view, I might make the eyes, eyebrows, nose, mouth, etc all independent. Then you could select them all and do Puppet > Staple Puppet to Parent to make sure they don't fly off the face.

Basically anytime something warps and you don't want it to, 99% of the time the answer is "make it independent and staple it."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oksamurai​

Thank you! This worked a treat, you're awesome. Love your tutorials too by the  way

I have kind of a followup problem: the head is now pretty rogue from the body. What do I do to anchor the head firmly to the neck? It's flying all over the place. Also, I'd love the front strands of hair to sit 'atop' the body, not behind as they are now. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2017-02-06 at 4.16.27 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you make the "Head" independent? If so I'd turn that off - that's usually at the root of decapitation issues. Head and Body container groups should never be independent (but the headturn views like frontal are okay).

For hair to show up in front of the body, you'll need to make sure the head group is in front of the body group - right now it looks like you did body first. What you could do is make an extra "front hair" or "hair bg" group outside of the head that basically doubles like a head. See:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2017 Feb 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oksamurai​

Things had actually been getting better! But then I separated the background hair and everything is back to being weird again. She's still decapitated, but now the hair doesn't really stick to her. I tried adding the 'Face' behaviour to the hair, AND without, but it didn't seem to make a difference. Also, the back hair doesn't dangle 😕

Aghhhhh

Here are my layers:

Screen Shot 2017-02-07 at 10.24.10 AM.png

And the weirdness:

Screen Shot 2017-02-07 at 10.29.00 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm I'm guessing there's a conflict somewhere (maybe in the groups above your puppet?). If you haven't already, see "Cassandra" here - http://adobe.ly/297v7Wg  - she's a working version of the red haired girl with a separate back hair group.

Could you share here or DM me your .puppet file (File > Export > Puppet) via a shared link on Google Drive, Dropbox, or Creative Cloud to take a closer look?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sent it to you via DM, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 02, 2017 May 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue with my adapted version of the cassandra puppet - any suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 02, 2017 May 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Are you using the updated version of Cassandra at http://okaysamurai.com/puppets/ ?

There's also a video about this:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines