• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Display correct answers?

Community Beginner ,
Feb 06, 2017 Feb 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello I am new to Indesign. I am using CC 2017. I am creating an interactive PDF where the learner has boxes they type in to answer questions asked of them throughout the workbook. My question is, is there a way to display the correct answer to them once they have made an attempt to answer it?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, but that capability isn't built into interactive PDF. It sounds like a feature that could be done with HTML and JavaScript.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 07, 2017 Feb 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve's correct, this could be fairly simply done with a bit of Javascript. Make the 'correct answer' a hidden field and then decide what condition should trigger it to be a visible field.

But even simpler could be if you used hidden fields and buttons to reveal them. The users could type their answers then click the button to reveal the correct answer/hidden field. There is a built in 'show/hide fields' button action in Acrobat that could be used to achieve this without any scripting needed.

It all depends on whether you trust your users to not click on the correct answer before entering their own!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 09, 2017 Feb 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a solution using multi state objects however, these only show and “work” if the document is exported as a swf which disables the ability to use it as an interactive pdf. Does anyone know different?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's correct, multi state objects only work with exported swf. But you can produce a similar effect with "show/hide button forms" that will export to PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeffrey_Smith (and others who might want to know),

Multi-state objects work in SWF, but they also work in Fixed-Layout ePubs as well as Publish Online. While I doubt the OP would want to use either of these, they shouldn't be ruled out for others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the comparison between SWF and PDF, MSO only work with SWF, but thanks for providing the additional info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you flmaing1, would this work in a regular interactive pdf without exporting as swf? And would it 3 buttons total, one text field, one show answer and last one the correct answer (this would be the show/hide one?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

blancaa - yes, this works in a regular interactive PDF. It's using built in functions so it should be pretty bulletproof.

I would suggest the simplest way would be setting up two text fields and one button. One text field is for the user to enter their answer. The other text field can be the 'correct answer' field and have the correct answer pasted into it as its default content (do this in Acrobat). Make that field read only and hidden and then use the button to show it.

You could also use the button to 'show/hide' layers and have the answers on an individual layer that is only revealed when the button is clicked. You'd set up each answer on a separate layer in your Indesign file, check the export PDF layers option when making the PDF, and then set up the button functionality in Acrobat. It's a little more cumbersome to work with, but gives a nicer looking result.

There are many ways to approach this, including relatively simple javascripting, so just go with whichever way works for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Cool thank you, I attempted it and think I got it figured out the show/hide!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It might be worth you having a look at Adobe Captivate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is a good thought Derek, the problem is I need the learners to be able to type answers to questions and be able to save what they have written for reference later as a “study guide” with their notes and input. Does this make sense? For this reason I figured interactive pdf was the best option. Any other ideas or insight?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A PDF form would be good, with questions and spaces for users to type in their answers and be able to save and print them. The problem is the second part, displaying the correct answer. It depends on how you want it to be used. Obviously you could have the answers printed at the end of the workbook for users too check, but maybe that wouldn't suit your purposes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines