• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Transparency different between AE and Premiere

Community Beginner ,
Feb 06, 2017 Feb 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a lower third with a semi-transparent background that looks different once I bring it into Premiere. Tried exporting in different codecs (Animation, ProRes444) and changing alpha to straight, also tried embedding AE comp into premiere sequence. None of these methods produced the same effect as doing the overlay in AE, the transparency was lighter, portions of the background that were masked in AE became visible upon export as if the mask expanded slightly. I just want the final product to look like it does in AE, but I want to do the overlay in Premiere.

running CC version 15.3 on Mac

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Feb 06, 2017 Feb 06, 2017

I am not intentionally doing any Color Management, but in trying to figure out if it was on and how to turn it off I unchecked the 'Composite in Linear Color' box in the sequence settings, and that has solved my problem. Will that have any unintended consequences elsewhere in my project?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No clue without details. I suspect color management. Has this ever worked for you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What sort of details would be helpful? I can provide screenshots if that's helpful.

Usually I export animation codec quicktime mov's set to lossless with alpha and I have not had this problem before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have not had problems before then what is different about this project? If it is just a single layer that is giving you problems selecting the layer and pressing the u key twice will reveal all modified properties so you can check the settings.

Helpful details include AE version and OS version down to the last decimal point, checking to see if your software is up to date, workflow details including details of any specific effects that may be used, the kinds of footage you are working with or the types of files you are importing, what kind of color management you are using, and how you are judging the final product. I recently helped someone that was judging their renders using a media player that threw in a huge color shift that was not really there.

Color management either needs to be off for everything of completely understood and properly utilized. If everything else is normal and you are seeing color shifts in the production workflow then color management is probably fouled up somewhere. If suspect color management problems the easiest thing to do to verify the problem is to render a frame from AE and render a frame from, in this case Premiere Pro, then take both frames into Photoshop and set the blend mode of the top copy to Difference. If the image does not turn completely black then you have a color management problem. If the image does turn completely black then you don't have a problem with the video, you have a problem with the software you are using to play back the film.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not intentionally doing any Color Management, but in trying to figure out if it was on and how to turn it off I unchecked the 'Composite in Linear Color' box in the sequence settings, and that has solved my problem. Will that have any unintended consequences elsewhere in my project?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unintended consequences depends entirely on your workflow. I strongly suggest that you type color management in the search help field at the top right corner of AE and spend some time with the Community Resources. If you have specific questions we need to know workflow details. There are just too many options to guess what may or may not happen to the color in your project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 26, 2022 Apr 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This worked for me as well. I've been keying out a green screen, and suddenly my alpha channel exports were showing up with holes in them. You can see aorund her hair the yellow is peeking through - which wasn't visible in After Effects. I unchecked that 'Composite in Linear Colour' box in Premiere, and it corrected the issue. 

Before

Screen Shot 2022-04-26 at 12.06.16 PM.png

After

Screen Shot 2022-04-26 at 12.06.01 PM.png

However, the 'Composite in Linear Colour' box remains checked in another sequence that has AE Renders with the exact same settings, and the keying issue isn't there. So... not sure what that is about. But either way - thank you - as it's saving me a ton of time re-rendering. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines