• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Upgrading to CC 2017 with a 5 year old ASUS

Community Beginner ,
Feb 06, 2017 Feb 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I have a ASUS Republic of Gamers G74 with Adobe CS 5.5.  I'm looking to upgrade to CC 2017.  My laptop is 5 years old and I know very little about hardware.  I have an i7-2670QM 2.2 GHz processor with 12GB RAM.  My question is that for Premiere Pro CC 2017, what will I need to upgrade hardware-wise, or should I just scrap my ASUS and get a whole new computer?  Also my graphics card is NVidia GTX 560M.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Feb 07, 2017 Feb 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i looked at some upgrade videos on youtube for some asus g74 laptops (not sure if they are exactly like yours) and it looks like its possible to upgrade the cpu. you may have to search the internet to find out what its upgrade-able to, but it might be possible to hold a i7-3xxxQM cpu, which will be next gen and a decent step up. there are several cpu's like the i7-3720QM, i7-3740QM, and i7-3760QM that would all be a decent upgrade over your current cpu. upgrading ram would also help, 16-24gb is good, 32gb would top and might not help as much. unfortunately i don't see an option to upgrade the video card, so if you are doing any gpu fx it may hold everything back. if you want to try and upgrade parts, you will have to do some research on your laptop but it might be somewhat cheap to find cpu and ram on ebay etc. otherwise if you just want a new computer, it will cost around $1-1.2k for a laptop or desktop computer. laptops would have an i7-7700HQ and gtx 1050 ti, a starter desktop would have an i7-7700 or i7-7700k and gtx 1050 ti. desktops will have more options for faster cpu and gpu, if you are going that direction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot!  I appreciate you doing that.  I'll check into that.   I downloaded the trial version of CC last night and it was performing ok, but that was just simple cuts and the like. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EdL81,

Well, it depends!

Please reply and tell us about the media you will be editing and the complexity of your timelines.

And would you say that your current laptop is fast enough for whatever you are doing with CS 5.5?

Regards,

Jim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the response.  Yes, my laptop performs pretty well with 5.5. I do mostly wedding films, so it's simple cuts and dissolves on MOV or AVCHD files.  Some light graphics work, but I am planning on doing more commercial work which will be more complex.  I downloaded the trial version of CC last night and it seemed to be performing ok.  Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines