• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Data Merge reverse lookup

Participant ,
Feb 07, 2017 Feb 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I'm just experimenting with the data merge and it works well. However is there a method to reverse look up, by this I mean.

If the csv file looks like this.

Position, Name, Year started, @picture

Director 1, Mr Big, 1992,big.jpg

Managing Director, Ms Bigger, 2012,b.jpg

So I can set up a picture and have it look up the "Managing Director" details?

I think from what I have searched, data merge is limited so is there another program that I should be using?

Many Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guide , Feb 07, 2017 Feb 07, 2017

Hi

If I understand your request correctly, it is just a matter of ordering your variables (Or am I missing something obvious?)

merge.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

If I understand your request correctly, it is just a matter of ordering your variables (Or am I missing something obvious?)

merge.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thats one of doing it yes thanks, although could be useful to look up if someone is added they would be added to the bottom of the list. Unless the other person input the data remembers to put it in order.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmmm so what you want is that a new entry would be placed at the top of your CSV file, is that right?

In that case, I would personally create a macro in Excel.

Something like that:

Dim position As String

Dim name As String

Dim year As String

Dim picture As String

position = InputBox("Position?", "Add new person")

name = InputBox("Name?", "Add new person")

year = InputBox("Year?", "Add new person")

picture = InputBox("Picture file name (don't forget to add the extension)", "Add new person")

If MsgBox("Do you want to add this person?" & Chr(10) & "Position: " & position & Chr(10) & "Name: " & name & Chr(10) & "Year: " & year & Chr(10) & "picture: " & picture, vbOKCancel) = vbOK Then

Rows("2:2").Select

Selection.Insert Shift:=xlDown, CopyOrigin:=xlFormatFromLeftOrAbovee

Range("A2").Value = position

Range("B2").Value = name

Range("C2").Value = year

Range("D2").Value = picture

End If

Don't forget to update Data source in INDD.

Thinking... as far as I know, there is no preflight that would warn in case of modified data source. Would be a cool feature...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Fairness I think i might be going about this the wrong way. I think the list side of things is fine, Although what you provided is helpful.

I was trying to produce a hierarchy tree that could be a web page so and therefore easier to refresh through InDesign? (I think)

I'm not convinced that I will be able to achieve the layout I expect via InDesign. I'm not sure how to populate something like this.

Screen Shot 2017-02-07 at 11.49.13.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The trickiest way of achieving this would be to use inline merge inside a "triangular" frame. Or the "simpliest" would be to script it all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm just trying out the script inlineMerge (is thats what you meant). And it partly works. I don't get the dropdown menu when it runs, just an area to type and by default has ^p as an option (new paragraph)Screen Shot 2017-02-07 at 14.53.00.png           . So at the moment I get a line displayed.    

Screen Shot 2017-02-07 at 14.55.03.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes that's the idea. I think the dropdown list was removed in order to let every one set the separator of its choice.

Capture d’écran 2017-02-07 à 16.27.11.png

Here I juste use a space separator and let indesign paragraph composer distribute the items give the available space.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I'm so new to this how did you get the paragraph composer to distribute? Did you do it before or after you ran the script?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Big words to say that I don't really care of positionning items as I let indesign reflow the boxes for me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Huh right... I understand better now with a picture. I kind of left the road ^^

Now, this is going to be quite tricky, I'm not sure this could be done with data merging in a quite simple way...

Maybe Loïc wants to go further in his suggestions... I'd be curious to see how you deal with merging datas in a frame

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines