• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PC or iMac for professional video editing.

New Here ,
Feb 06, 2017 Feb 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

My business is starting to take off and I will be doing a lot of editing professionally.  Its been driving me nuts trying to pick between PC or iMac, every few hours for the last week or so I have changed my mind.  I use Premiere Pro and After Effects mainly, my budget is $4000 which is between either a custom PC or a 27" maxed out iMac.  Im planning on going into film production/post production down the road but not a huge consideration, by then I will most likely have a different computer.

Considerations:

I would prefer PC but as im going professional if an iMac would be better im willing to go that route.  Whatever will move my job forward.

The iMac would be the build in 5K display with a 1080P monitor.  (Specs maxed)

The PC would be connected to a 4K monitor with two 1080P monitors.  (Specs=Beast)

I have heard there will most likely be a new iMac next month but its all roomer.

I an experienced with both a PC and a Mac.

Basically I want to get my job done well, professionally, and I don't want to hurt my career based on my choice of computer.

Thanks for any responses! 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Valorous Hero , Feb 07, 2017 Feb 07, 2017

if you end up working someplace, it might be mac only, pc only, or mixed, or they might not even be using adobe. i would guess more places still run mac than pc for creative work. if you just want one computer that will allow for everything, its going to be mac which can run avid, fcpx and adobe. if you want to focus on adobe for now and have a more powerful computer, you could get a very good windows computer for $2-3k and still have enough left over for a mac to tinker with.

one of the things a

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 07, 2017 Feb 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving to Premiere Pro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving to the Hardware Forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if you end up working someplace, it might be mac only, pc only, or mixed, or they might not even be using adobe. i would guess more places still run mac than pc for creative work. if you just want one computer that will allow for everything, its going to be mac which can run avid, fcpx and adobe. if you want to focus on adobe for now and have a more powerful computer, you could get a very good windows computer for $2-3k and still have enough left over for a mac to tinker with.

one of the things adobe cannot do natively on windows is create prores files. some people use a mac to transcode, some use third party software for windows, many which are questionable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here on the forum we see quite a few people switching from Mac to PC because Apple is not keeping up to date on hardware.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really?  Any idea why they started neglecting it?  Maybe Mac wont be the standard soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Apple wants big quantity (iPhone) and they cut back seriously FCP with FCPX

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines