• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop gets stuck in Type Tool

New Here ,
Feb 07, 2017 Feb 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the second time this has happened to me this week. Both time I had clicked on a text box with the type tool to edit the text, did Cmd A and Cmd C to copy the text, then hit Esc (I have it set to cancel the changes on Esc). But it doesn't cancel the changes and the text box is still live, I can still type inside the text box, I can't select any other tool in the toolbox (when I try, the entire toolbox goes blank), I can't select any other layer, clicking on the Check Mark or Cancel button at the top tool bar does nothing, and Cmd Return does nothing.

Both times this happened I had to Force Quit Photoshop but I'm hoping someone out there might have a fix for this for the future.

Here's what I'm running:

Photoshop CC 2017.0.1

MacBook Pro (13in Retina, early 2015)

macOS Sierra 10.12.3

2.7 Intel Core i5

8GB Ram

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 07, 2017 Feb 07, 2017

You can reset the Type Tool by right-clicking on its icon in the option bar at the top.

Screen Shot 2016-11-07 at 2.54.12 PM.png

If that fails, reset preferences.

Reset Prefs CC 2015.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Feb 07, 2017 Feb 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can reset the Type Tool by right-clicking on its icon in the option bar at the top.

Screen Shot 2016-11-07 at 2.54.12 PM.png

If that fails, reset preferences.

Reset Prefs CC 2015.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2017 Apr 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks for the suggestion, but I'm having the same issue as the post author and the main problem is that I can't click on anything—no right click, no escape, I can't even click on the File/Edit menu bar.

The only way I've been able to "fix" the issue is by Force Quitting Photoshop. Force quitting is not ideal as I'm in the middle of working and despite hitting Save every two minutes (I've been burned too many times) it still doesn't recover all of my work.

Can someone at Adobe please file this as an actual application bug and notify us when this has been fixed?

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 13, 2017 Dec 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this doesn't work for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2019 Feb 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The correct answer did NOT solve the issue. I have this same problem about every 5-10 minutes when I use Photoshop.

The other designers at my company are also experiencing this same issue and are so frustrated that we may be forced to switch to Sketch. Please fix this, Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 05, 2017 Apr 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this issue too. It seems completely random.

• All of a sudden hitting 'CMD + Enter' doesn't commit type change.
  • I can still 'Select All' the type I just can't commit
  • Hitting 'ESC' seems to do nothing visually but it seems as though it has cancelled any text editing but the type box is still visible
  • I can even press 'CMD +A' to select all of the page and move one of the cursor keys and I get the usual dialogue box telling me that the type layer cannot be moved without rasterizing it
  • I get what the original poster is getting when after hitting 'ESC' and I interact with the toolbar buttons they disappear. I've found that I can get them to reappear when I hover over the tiny area that displays the zoom, save progress etc. in the bottom left.

I've tried using three different type managers (Suitcase, FontExplorer, FontBook) and still get the problem.

I've also tried the two solutions in the second post above.

And this has happened to me on multiple computers

Photoshop CC 2017.0.1

MacOS - 10.11.6

15" Macbook Pro (Mid 2012

2.7 GHZ Intel Core i7

16GB DDR3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2017 Apr 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this problem now also – it first happened a couple months ago, but now has happened 4 times in 3 days.  Incredibly frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 17, 2017 May 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also having this exact issue. The only way out is to force quit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 22, 2017 May 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me the fix wasn't the type reset tool but starting a new project where I wasn't using the font Fira Sans. Since then it's not happened to me since... Hopefully it'll stay that way!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 06, 2017 Jul 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This just happened to me too. Fudge monkeys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The suggested fix above does NOT work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This error occurs with me daily. Horrible bug. The "correct answer" above does not work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a more detailed troubleshooting guide: Troubleshoot fonts issues in Adobe Photoshop CC, 2015, 2014, CS6, CS5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 10, 2017 Jul 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll give the above a go gener7.

Regarding my comment above about not using the the font Fira Sans being a solution, I've realised this isn't the case anymore as it seems to happen more when using Device Preview.

If the above solution doesn't fix things I'm going to try and screen record the crash.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 18, 2017 Jul 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, the above solutions didn't work and found this happened on a completely different machine I used in another agency too. Only seems to happen when I'm designing with Device Preview.

Fed up and put up with this for long enough. Uninstalling and going to trial Sketch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 24, 2017 Aug 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still a reoccurring issue on my end too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 12, 2017 Nov 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same issue here....stuck on type tool. won't save file, can't close photoshop. this is happening A LOT.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 11, 2017 Dec 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just checking in as another user that loses countless hours of work because of this bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 13, 2017 Dec 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YES!!! started using Figma and each time I have to go back to Photoshop its hell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2017 Dec 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue happens to me about 5-10 times daily. It's beyond frustrating. When is Adobe going to address this?

Our entire team has been moving away from Adobe products because of this. We don't have any of these issues in Sketch... Really wish they would address this ASAP!.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 15, 2018 Jan 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bumping as this problem is still in Photoshop (latest version) and just lost hours of work. Provided answer above does not work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2018 Jan 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bumping this YET again – and will continue to do so daily until someone from Adobe acknowledges this issue.

I've lost thousands of dollars worth of work and time to this issue.

Resetting the type tool does not solve the problem, nor does clearing preferences. This is a software bug – plain and simple.

When working with multiple files, the text tool WILL get stuck in a text box on one file – not allowing text to bet edited elsewhere, and completely disabling all features, menus, etc. within Photoshop.

The only option is to force quit – which means it's 50/50 whether you get a recovered file or not.

SOLVE THIS PROBLEM – we pay a lot of money to use this software, and can't afford to lose more to lost work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2018 Jan 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with you. I have a big problem with the same issue. Its a pain when you dont have the file saved after putting in a lot of effort in a design or work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 28, 2018 Feb 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's doing the same thing to me. And I'm not able to access any of the menu or tool options. Any other way? Wish the Photoshop or the ESC key would work!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 11, 2018 Jun 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is still a problem, but I found a temporary fix. If you hit cmd+w (the shortcut to close the window) it closes the file you are stuck on, also gives you the option to save as well. Hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 23, 2018 Jul 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tried this. now photoshop is stuck on saving at 61%.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines