• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Color Replacememt

Enthusiast ,
Feb 07, 2017 Feb 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the image above that I need to re-colour from the Brown to an Ivory. What would you do?Bark Bed Small.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 07, 2017 Feb 07, 2017

I would
1. Mask the brown

2. Use a Hue and Saturation layer set to Colorize and clipped to the masked image to change the colour

3. Put a curves layer over the top (also clipped to the masked layer) to re-introduce the shadows

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would
1. Mask the brown

2. Use a Hue and Saturation layer set to Colorize and clipped to the masked image to change the colour

3. Put a curves layer over the top (also clipped to the masked layer) to re-introduce the shadows

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow Dave...this is fabulous. I have to leave at the moment for a flight to Toronto. I will followup when I get back Friday. In the meantime I was able to follow Step 1 and mask the brown but how do I set H&S to colorize and Clip to the Masked image (Step 2)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, here a link to a video that deals with color replacements:

How To Select and Change Colors In Photoshop - Replace Colors In a Photo - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 08, 2017 Feb 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to follow Step 1 and mask the brown but how do I set H&S to colorize and Clip to the Masked image (Step 2)?

Hi Bob - good questions.

Colorize- There is a check box in Hue & Saturation called colorize. Just tick it.

Clipping - If you have an adjustment layer it usually effects all the layers below. However you can set it to affect only the pixels on the layer just below - just as if it was masked. This is called a clipping mask. To do this you Alt+Click (Opt+Click for Mac) on the border between the two layers and a little down arrow will appear in the layer. From there on it only affects the pixels in the layer below (in your case the blanket) and not the background  layers below that.

I hope that helps you

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Feb 10, 2017 Feb 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK Dave, I am back.

I have it working fine except when I have colorize set in HSL and want to adjust the color from brown to the color of of the Ivory cushions on the bed, I can't replicate that color by moving the Hue slider to get anything close to that color. Any thoughts on that one?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 11, 2017 Feb 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Bob

Part of the problem is that you are making just about the most extreme colour change you can make - dark brown to almost white , so you are not going to get this perfect. Also you have three colours in those cushions on the bed - ranging from the two at the back which are ivory - the left front which is almost white and the right front which has a cast from the window - so with colorize alone you have choose which one to match to!

As an example - not perfect - I matched close to the back cushions using the HSL adjustments - taking almost all the saturation out. Then I added a layer above - set to colour blending mode and painted with the colour of the back cushions. Then again with a brush set to 20% opacity with the colour of the front left cushion over some of the highlights. However that left me with the front right cushion still standing out too much so I added a further color blend layer over the background and painted over that cushion to get it to match closer to the other three.

I hope that makes sense.

I hope that helps

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines