Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Auto-trace in After Effects does not work properly

New Here ,
Feb 07, 2017 Feb 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,
The problem is auto-trace does not creating a mask for the whole size of my video, just a part of it.
I imported my video, used keylight 1.2
Created a  rectangular mask, to remove walls out of both sides of green screen.
Then I tried to use auto-trace, but it traced only a part of it (I suppose rectangular)

EPdZtvOzaRU.jpg

P.s.
I checked the beginning of the video, it traced ok.
WfKiUQ1zAyQ.jpg

But it is true for only one frame
Help please, what I am doing wrong?

Here is my options for tracing (sorry, it`s in Russian)

I am using Windows 10 x64, intel core i5-3330 CPU 3Ghz, RAM 6 Gb , nvidia Geforce GT 640

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 07, 2017 Feb 07, 2017

You should start auto trace from the first frame. You might have more success if you pre-composed your keyed layer moving all attributes to the new comp and then tried to auto trace the nested comp using the alpha channel,

I'm not sure why you are auto tracing your layer when you already have a good mask from Keylight. It might help if you explained what you are trying to accomplish.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should start auto trace from the first frame. You might have more success if you pre-composed your keyed layer moving all attributes to the new comp and then tried to auto trace the nested comp using the alpha channel,

I'm not sure why you are auto tracing your layer when you already have a good mask from Keylight. It might help if you explained what you are trying to accomplish.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is still the same, precomposed layer and traced from 1st frame, but it still crops the mask

I want to key everything out of my body, so keylight won`t be searching for green color there
Before this video I`ve done the same and it worked, but now it is not.
How to: Perfect Chroma Keys from Bad Green Screens. - YouTube
I tried idea from this video

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless your footage is terrible this is not necessary and there are a lot better ways to garbage matte your video that and auto trace is about the worst tool I can think of to create a hold out matte. That tutorial demonstrates one of the least effective and efficient ways I have ever seen demonstrated to use Keylight. You need to do a better job of vetting your trainers. Google is becoming the worst way to find good training. For every 10 YouTube videos I see referenced in this forum that people are having problems with 8 or 9 of them are demonstrating poorly thought out and inefficient techniques. That's the problem when the masses get their hands on professional software with about 100,000 switches under the hood.

Show us the footage or at least a frame of the original footage and we can make some suggestions that will point you in a more effective direction. Check out the manufacturer or sites like Video CoPilot or Lynda.com to find some really good training.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I`m sorry, i pre-composed layer without moving all attributes, and now it started working, I hope it will still work in future !

I really appreciate your help, and I will try to search for better techniques with keylight
sorry for inattentiveness

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 08, 2021 Aug 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also had a similar issue and Ihave the solution.

You have to keep the work are at the same size of the layer.

If you have a 4 second clip starting at 30:27 and ending at 45:11 ,you have to adjust the work area perfectly to this time.

This is the solution.

Hope it helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 30, 2022 Aug 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

YOU SAVED ME A CUSTOMER THANK GOD I LOVE YOU

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines