Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

indesign won't open in Mac OS Sierra

New Here ,
Feb 07, 2017 Feb 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Yesterday I updated my mac to OS Sierra (big mistake).

Today I can't open any of my creative cloud programs.

When I click on them to start it, it starts jumping (as usual) and then it just stops and does nothing else. When I click on it longer, I get a message that the program won't respond.

Can somebody please help me !

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Feb 07, 2017 Feb 07, 2017

I have now fixed my problem.

I went to system preferences; energy saver and unticked the 'automatic graphics switching'

Hey presto, everything works - CC, PS 2015, PS 2017, InD 2015, InD 2017

So I assume that, being an older MacBook Pro, the system was unable to cope with switching between the increased needs of the programs when they called for more processing power. Strange how it managed to sometimes though.

If you've tried everything else, like I had - try this! I don't know if it'll solve your

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of InDesign?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

see my post; exactly the same problem and after hours and hours talking to adobe support (online and telephone,) I can still not get to to work, even after formatting my hard drive to ensure nothing else can be interfering. If you find anything that works, let me know - but deleting caches/oobe/uninstalling etc etc has done nothing for me!

Creative Cloud not running -AGAIN

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of InDesign?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried CS6, 2014, 2015, 2017 - similar with Photoshop. All fail to run, as does CC. I've downloaded via CC (when it worked,) and the direct link download which adobe support showed me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign CS6 is not supported under El Capitan or Sierra.

Regarding the other versions try resetting your InDesign preferences:

Close and relaunch InDesign, and IMMEDIATELY hold down Ctrl + Alt + Shift (Windows) or Cmd + Ctrl + Opt + Shift (Mac), and respond in the affirmative to the dialog asking if you really want to replace the preferences. you must be extremely fast on the keyboard (if you don’t see the confirmation prompt, you were too slow)

You may have to do it a couple of times before you get the hang of it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On a Mac you don't need to quickly hold down the keys after relaunching. Hold down the keys first then click on the InDesign icon in the dock and select 'Open' - much more relaxing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have now fixed my problem.

I went to system preferences; energy saver and unticked the 'automatic graphics switching'

Hey presto, everything works - CC, PS 2015, PS 2017, InD 2015, InD 2017

So I assume that, being an older MacBook Pro, the system was unable to cope with switching between the increased needs of the programs when they called for more processing power. Strange how it managed to sometimes though.

If you've tried everything else, like I had - try this! I don't know if it'll solve your issue, but worth a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 26, 2017 Jul 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also installed Sierra a couple of days ago and now my InDesign won't open but when I just tried going to system preferences; energy saver and untick the 'automatic graphics switching', I didn't SEE an "automatic graphics switching" option. I'm on a Mac Mini mid 2011 and was running El Capitan until I installed Sierra. When I try to open InDesign, I get this message: "To open Adobe InDesign CS5.5 you need to install the legacy Java SE 6 runtime. Click 'more info' to visit the legacy Java SE 6 download website." I'm about the MOST untechnical human on Earth and don't understand this. I clicked "more info" but have no idea what the info there means.

I need to get InDesign running!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 26, 2017 Jul 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never mind. A friend told me which Java to download and when I did, everything was fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2018 Apr 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have the same problem. Which Java did you download?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines