Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't save on Mac 10.12

New Here ,
Feb 07, 2017 Feb 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Elain or anyone else from the Adobe team,

Can you please update us on this situation? Incredibly frustrating after working for hours on a project.

macOS Sierra (version 10.12)

Adobe XD (version 0.6.12.17 Beta)

Username on computer is jamiecooper - all other adobe programs working fine

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Mar 03, 2017 Mar 03, 2017

Hi, all-

We believe we've found the culprit for the Mac save problem and are working on pushing out a fix to you guys. To get updates, please upvote this in UserVoice: [Mac] Intermittent save issues (G15132) – Adobe XD Feedback : Feature Requests & Bugs

-Elaine

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, jamiecooper-

I branched your question into a new one, because the issue described in the original one is a Windows-specific issue. What error message are you getting when you save? What happens when you save as?

Thanks,

-Elaine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 08, 2017 Feb 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Elaine & Colin,

I have found the solution - I had the tutorial open underneath my new project. At some point while working, it clashed and wouldn't allow me to open up another tutorial window or UI (ios, windows or google) and stopped me from saving my document.

Once closed, I was able to save the project as 'help.xd'. Help arrived. (just used the shortcode cmd+s)

I then went to 'save as' renamed it to 'YouTonics Mobile.xd' and it has duplicated the file. I now have two windows open; help.xd and YouTonics.xd.

-

Here is what I wrote before finding this (frustratingly obvious) solution -

When looking at my 'About the Mac' info, its only saying 10.12 so I assume its just 10.12 (16A323)

When I try to save (tried every destination possible on my mac and external drives with every method to save as I see possible) it comes up saying -

The document “Untitled 2” could not be saved as “Untitled 2.xd”.

Strangely, I now cannot open UI kits or the tutorial. I get this message. When I started this new project, I was still able to open the UI kits so believe this has occurred in the last day -

Error loading document. Invalid document type.

I have had the software open for 3 days (used 2 of the days), regularly putting my mac to sleep and running XD in the background. I now have a working area with 32 art boards with a couple hundred elements (painful but incredibly stupid mistake not to save. Work in photoshop and lightroom and have a workflow within that, even more when working with video. Silly me!)

So, it was working, now its not. I can still export everything as PNG, PDF & SGV and the rest of the program is working perfectly.

& I understand that XD is still in Beta so this is bound to happen. I hope my information can help.

I am in love with the software so far & I can't wait to use it and see it progress in the years to come!

Kind thanks,

Jamie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 10, 2017 Feb 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, Jamie-

Sorry for the delay (was at a conference for most of the week and am just catching up now). I'm looping in some members of our technical staff to see if we can get you unstuck. Hopefully, we can get you going again pretty soon!

-Elaine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2017 Feb 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any update on this? I am still unable to save my work. tried saving as "new_name" and still cant save, please help, and thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Im having exactly the same problem. Can't save or open the UI kits or tutorial anymore. I can't even save a new file.

Any help would be great!

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@jamiecooper Have you had any luck finding reproducible steps for this?  I tried to repro on Mac 10.12, but was unable to.

@joshm45171395 @calvins44208425  Are you using Mac 10.12 as well or a different OS?  Do you have reproducible steps?  Are you using XD 0.6.12.17 as well?

Thanks,

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@David Im using 10.11.13

The steps are current XD file open. File>Save> Error The document “WERTH” could not be saved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2017 Feb 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @David,

Im on OSX 10.10.5 and XD 0.6.12.17

File > Save > Error The document “Untitled” could not be saved.

I get this error with 'Save As' and 'cmd + s' too.

I get the error with new and old documents. I also can't open any of the UI

Kits. I get "Error loading document. Invalid document type."

I cant say when exactly this started happening but possibly when I had more

than 1 file open.

On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 4:59 AM, joshm45171395 <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2017 Apr 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sounds like a full resource pool caused by a deallocation bug that didn't free memory properly. Running the tutorial for a few days should get it it to reproduce.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which 10.12 are you using? Saves seem to work under 10.12.4. The current version is 10.12.3 I think.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Colin,

Latest OS version is still 10.12.3. There is no 10.12.4 in the app store yet (?)

Anyway, updating our mac would mean that the open XD file(s) is lost too.

Can we import our project from the shared version again?

-d

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 16, 2017 Feb 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know when 10.12.4 will be released. XD worked for me in 10.12.3, and continues to work in 10.12.4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem. Nasty one.

I have my XD open until Adobe comes with a solution. Otherwise, a lot of work will be lost.

I can however share my project online, so there should be a copy of my project on the Adobe servers.

In a worst case scenario, we'll have to quit XD, update and then reopen our last saved file. If we then could import the shared version then that would be a life saver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2017 Feb 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

One short question: is any of you running programs that clean the temporary folder on Mac or that optimize the disk space?

Also, in order to get more details about the failure here's a short list of steps that should provide us with some logs that may explain what is going on:

1. Press Cmd + Space, type "Console.app" and run it.

2. Select the machine in the "Devices" list on the left.

3. In the "Search" field, type "Adobe XD" and press enter

4. Press the "Clear" button

5. Return to Adobe XD

6. Try to save the document and wait for the failure

7. Return to the Console.app, select all the new logs and send them to Elaine or me.

Thanks,

Andrei.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2017 Feb 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too am having trouble saving on my Mac (iOS 10.10.5 (14F2109)).  I was able to save the initial file, but now can't save any updates.  Same problem as other users have posted.

@abucur

Andrei - I tried the sequence outlined above and regrettably did not have any success with the save.  FYI.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Feb 20, 2017 Feb 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Andrei,

This is what I get following your steps:

standaard 08:51:08.039706 +0100 Adobe XD Claim 6E2EBF94-8076-43CA-B485-5C3EE3084386 granted in client

standaard 08:51:08.039759 +0100 Adobe XD Claim 6E2EBF94-8076-43CA-B485-5C3EE3084386 invoked in client

I would try the following, please let me know if this might work:

- In XD, copy alle the artboards to the clipboard

- Quit XD (all the unsaved work will be lost)

- Restart XD

- Create a new document

- Paste the artboards (fingers crossed)

- Save the file and see if that works

Thoughts?

Thx,

Dany

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 21, 2017 Feb 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michael, Dany,

We're still trying to reproduce the problem on our side using the data you and the others have provided (thanks to everyone!). In the meanwhile we've thought about a way to recover the data based on copy and paste, similar to the one Dany proposed, for everyone experiencing this issue. Here are the steps that should minimize the chances of losing your work:

1. Save all the images in the document on the disk.

2. Export all the artboards as SVGs with linked images option selected in a separate folder.

3. Copy all the artboards in the clipboard.

4. Quit XD.

5. Start XD and create a new document.

6. Paste the artboards in the new document and save.

7. Manually recover the images saved at (1) and place them on the artboards as desired.

8. In case the whole paste process fails, try recovering the work by importing the SVGs saved at (2).

We'd be happy to hear back from you if you've managed to recover your work or if the original issue continues to persist and you can't save the document. Also, here are a couple more questions that may help us reproduce the original issue:

- Was the document ever saved before this problem appeared or it was the default ("Untitled") state?

- Have you opened/closed other files while working on the problematic document? This includes any XD files, UI kits and the tutorial.

- Some of you mentioned putting the machine to sleep before saving. Was the machine ever low on power?

- Do you have more than one user registered on your machine? If yes, have they logged in while your XD application was running?

Thanks,

Andrei.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 21, 2017 Feb 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Andrei,

Thanks for the advice, your method worked perfectly for me without having

to use the SVG's.

Im not sure if it's of any consequence but, I had tried copying the

artboards and pasting them into a new document while the original was open

with no success in saving the new document.

With regard to your questions;

- Yes, it was saved successfully before the problem arose.

- Yes, I had opened the UI Kits.

- I had saved before my machine went to sleep but there was an occasion

when the laptop went onto low power after that.

- Just me

Calvin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Feb 23, 2017 Feb 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Andrei,

In answer to your questions:

- Was the document ever saved before this problem appeared or it was the default ("Untitled") state?

Yes it was saved before. It was  not in the untitled state

- Have you opened/closed other files while working on the problematic document? This includes any XD files, UI kits and the tutorial.

There were several files open. They were all touched by the same problem.

Just aside from this: it is strange that the file menu shows 'save...' instead of 'save': 'save...' indicates that a new window will appear before the actual save. XD recognizes the file as a new unsaved file. That's strange. So a new file has to show 'save...' but a previously saved file should show 'save'

- Some of you mentioned putting the machine to sleep before saving. Was the machine ever low on power?

I don't think so.

- Do you have more than one user registered on your machine? If yes, have they logged in while your XD application was running?

no

In the mean time, I tried my suggestion above and that worked fine. There is one important thing to keep in mind though: when copying the artboards, make sure to copy the artboard itself and not just the content of the artboard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 27, 2017 Feb 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Andrei,

Your advice on copying artboards unfortunately doesn't preserve the prototype links between the boards--it only captures the boards and their design content.

To give you more data points, here are my answers to your questions:

Yes, saved almost every weekday since Dec 9. I believe my last successful save prior to the onset of this problem was last Friday, 24 Feb.

When this inability to save reared its ugly head today, I had no other XD files open.

Yes, my machine had probably been low on power since the previous successful save. It definitely had been put to sleep. This particular XD file has been open on my laptop for a number of weeks now--basically since whenever I was last prompted to update the app--so my laptop has gone through many instances of low power and sleep without any negative effect on the ability to save from XD.

No other registered users are on my laptop, just myself.

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 03, 2017 Mar 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, all-

We believe we've found the culprit for the Mac save problem and are working on pushing out a fix to you guys. To get updates, please upvote this in UserVoice: [Mac] Intermittent save issues (G15132) – Adobe XD Feedback : Feature Requests & Bugs

-Elaine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines