Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CC crashes generating 3D textures

New Here ,
Feb 08, 2017 Feb 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

So I work a lot in 3D programs (usually Blender) and recently discovered you could use the 3D workspace in Photoshop to generate bump maps and normal maps, which is great news...BUT every time I try to do this Photoshop crashes if I use anything other than the default settings or try to work with bump and normal at the same time.

Obviously this is really frustrating! I can't imagine it's my hardware either:

AMD FX-8350 4Ghz

32Gb RAM

GTX 960 4GB

Windows 10 Professional 64-bit

Photoshop CC 2017

Is anybody else having this issue or found a fix? The only thing I've found is people with CC 2015 saying to update to 2017! To be honest it seems a lot like a bug.

Any ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 08, 2017 Feb 08, 2017

Hi

Just tried those same settings, first from the 3D layer using Generate Bump Map from Diffuse :

Hit OK and :

I then tried Generate Normals from Diffuse (same settings as before and bump still in place):

Again no crash

Do you get the same if you try and generate the bump map separately using Filter - 3D - Generate Bump Map rather than Generate from Diffuse whilst in 3D?

May be worth looking at your Preferences Performance settings and try a different level of GPU (e.g. Basic/Normal, Advanced) to see

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've not had an issue with that here - but happy to try with your settings if you post them

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, can do. What settings do you need sorry?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

You said

Photoshop crashes if I use anything other than the default settings

So tell me the pixel size and bit-depth the image that you used to try and create the bump map, then show a screenshot of the settings you altered and finally  a description of exactly how and when in the process  it froze /crashed. That way I can try and replicate the exact steps here.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right, got you.

So I'm working at 1024 x1024, 72dpi, 8bits/channel and these are the settings I alterpscc_screencap.jpg

As soon as I hit OK a spinning wheel comes up and then the message "Photoshop has stopped working" and the only option I have is to close the program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Just tried those same settings, first from the 3D layer using Generate Bump Map from Diffuse :

Hit OK and :

I then tried Generate Normals from Diffuse (same settings as before and bump still in place):

Again no crash

Do you get the same if you try and generate the bump map separately using Filter - 3D - Generate Bump Map rather than Generate from Diffuse whilst in 3D?

May be worth looking at your Preferences Performance settings and try a different level of GPU (e.g. Basic/Normal, Advanced) to see if any help.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your help!

I tried using the 3D filter instead and it worked instantly, phew. I'm running at basic GPU level, tried some of the others and still got a crash generating bumps in 3D. But I'm happy enough with just using the filter method so that's fixed it as far as I'm concerned!

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines