• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't move folder to second hard drive

Explorer ,
Feb 07, 2017 Feb 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using latest LR in Windows 10. I just added a second hard drive and wanted to move a folder in the LR library to the new hard drive (E:). First, E: wasn't even showing up in the folder list. To make it show up, I just put a folder inside a folder called Originals on E: and did Add Folder in LR. Now E: shows up, and under that is the Originals folder and under that is the folder I just added. All well and good. But...

So now I wanted to move a Library folder that's on the main drive to the Originals folder on E: but when in LR I highlight and drag that folder, first I get a circle with a diagonal line through it when the cursor hovers over E: and the I get a rectangle when it hovers over the Originals folder. And nothing happens when I release the mouse click - no error message, no folder moved.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 08, 2017 Feb 08, 2017

A better method to move photos is explained in detail in this document in the section entitled "Part 2 — Updating Folder Location".

Adobe Lightroom - Find moved or missing files and folders

The reason you don't want to drag and drop inside of Lightroom is because of this rare bug:

Transferring photos to an external hard drive, photos lost

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Feb 07, 2017 Feb 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's strange - it seems like a permissions problem but if you were able to create a folder in Lr you should be able to copy the images as well. Check permission on that folder and you could also try moving the folders outside of Lr. Then import the images via Add to the folder you created in E.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 08, 2017 Feb 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A better method to move photos is explained in detail in this document in the section entitled "Part 2 — Updating Folder Location".

Adobe Lightroom - Find moved or missing files and folders

The reason you don't want to drag and drop inside of Lightroom is because of this rare bug:

Transferring photos to an external hard drive, photos lost

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cmgap: As I'm new to Windows, could you explain what I should be looking for with permissions? Also, I deleted the folder from the LR library and moved it to E: using Windows. When I added it back in I realized I made a mistake as all the edits were lost. Oh well, it wasn't that important.

dj_paige: Interesting read, but normally my stuff isn't that important so I could risk movement of files from within LR. I always did that on my Mac and never had a problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, that's fine, but for anyone else who is reading along who might want to move folders to a different hard drive, I stick by my recommendation above to not drag and drop within Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you should have done was copy (NOT move) the folder to the new hard drive.  Then, in Lightroom, you would right-click on the folder in its original location and update the folder location pointing Lightroom to the folder on the new hard drive. After you have verified that everything is in place you could delete the folder on the original hard drive. It really does work a lot more smoothly that way that trying to move things in Lightroom. In other words, I agree with  DJ_Paige. Maybe you are willing to give up some images, but if you are serious about keeping anything and need to move images around this method is much more reliable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will use the recommended method in the future. Would still be curious to know why drag and drop won't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Frankly, I don't care why it doesn't work the way it should. I have  successfully moved folders within Lightroom before. But I have also moved folders and lost them. I don't know, it could be  user error. If it is user error then it is something that is easy to do. I just feel it's much safer to do it the way I have described.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Are your images showing up in your E drive now?

Drag and drop is just one of many ways to import images into Lightroom and intended for use in specialized scenarios hence the reason it works in some situations but not all. Importing images in for first time for example it works well. I haven't had problems moving folders at all but have read threads where people have encountered problems. Also not sure if more problems occur on a Windows machine versus mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines