• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Replacing HDDs with SSDs

Community Expert ,
Feb 08, 2017 Feb 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a summary of my current system (Yes, I know it's old, but it suites my usage right now):

1-31-17 W7V Summary.jpg

I know that I need to update the BIOS to be able to use SSDs and to be able to use a GTX1060 (I already have the GTX1060).

I only put media that I am currently using on the Media drive.  I keep all media on separate external drives and copy them to the internal drive as needed and delete them from the internal drives once the project is archived and backed up.

I do not edit 4K.

I use Premiere Pro CC, After Effects CC, Photoshop CC, and occasionally other applications.

I was planning on getting two or three Samsung 850 SATA III Evos:

SAMSUNG 850 EVO-SERIES - 500GB Solid State Drive - Internal, 2.5 in Form Factor, SATA III - MZ-75E50...

I have two SATA III connectors and eight SATA II connectors.

Should I do this for two SSDs:

SATA II : OS

SATA III: Media, Project files, Cache

SATA III: Exports

or this:

SATA III: OS

SATA III: Media, Project files, Cache, Exports.

I will keep the Hitachi HDD for backups of projects in progress.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if two:

SATA III: OS/apps (cache if needing the space)

SATA III: Cache, Media, Project files.

if three:

SATA II: OS/apps

SATA III: (2xSSD raid-0) Cache, Media, Project files.

(with raid you will want your machine on a UPS. its a good idea even without raid)

if three, with no raid:

SATA II: OS/apps

SATA III: Cache

SATA III: Media, Project files.

exports are usually cpu bound and often can be sent to any drive, even a hdd. if you find the drive speed is limiting the export speed you can set it to the cache ssd or raid ssd's.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would I expect to see much difference in performance with two vs. three drives?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it would depend on the media bitrate and how many layers of media there are on the timeline. if your hdd's have been doing ok then perhaps just one ssd will be plenty. you could also start with two and add more if needed for speed and/or capacity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll try the two SSD option first and see how it goes.

It may be a while, since I am waiting for a time to take a break between projects and backing up, but I will post back with the results of my efforts.

By the way, all of my computers have a dedicated UPS, even the one that I use mainly for internet surfing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

sounds good

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines