• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I turn OFF the setting that automatically displays bookmarks when I open a file?

Feb 08, 2017 Feb 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every time I open a PDF file, the bookmarks panel is automatically displayed, and I have to take the extra step of closing it, because I do not use bookmarks. I see that there is an option to change how a particular PDF file opens, but most of the PDFs I work with are not saved, so I want to change the settings for Adobe so that it does NOT open every PDF with the bookmarks panel displayed. Please help!

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's actually a setting of each individual file, not a system setting. You can change it under File - Properties - Initial View.

If you have Acrobat Pro then you can run an Action that will change it for multiple files all at once.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, but that's not the solution I'm looking for. As I stated in my question, the problem is that most of the files I work with are not saved. For example, I usually get the file in an email, open it, read it, then close it, and never look at it again. So, most if not all of the PDF files I work with are never saved, and it doesn't do me any good to change that setting for each individual file. It just wouldn't make any sense. I'm guessing that this must be a default setting that Adobe has built into the program without thinking to give users the option to change it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As try67 explained, this is a setting that comes with the PDF file, so it's not a default setting in Acrobat, it's something that the document author selected when they created the PDF file. Usually, a document that has bookmarks opens the bookmarks panel - otherwise many users would probably not be able to detect that there are bookmarks in the document. There is nothing you can do in Acrobat to override this document setting. A custom Acrobat plug-in would probably be able to override such document settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 09, 2020 Mar 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finally, I find the answer I have been looking for. I use Acrobat Pro DC and have been looking everywhere to try and find a default setting for this. I will look for a plug-in next. It is so annoying to have to close this pane for every file that I open. You would think there would be a preference setting for this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2021 Aug 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to the document properties and change the default setting in the 'initial view' tab.  You will have to do this for each file though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was stated earlier. Any chance of a plug-in for the browser to fix this for each and every file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you go to your preferences under 'Page Display' you can set your default zoom and page layout, however it only works on new docs and docs that have not had custom settings enabled.  I hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did find those settings but I didn't know it only applied to new docs and those that have not had custom settings enabled. I will give it a go and see how it performs. Thanks again for all your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 13, 2023 May 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too suffer from this annoying 'default'. While I appreciate that author trying to notify me (and Adobe allowing me to be notified) it is a waste of time for 99% of my docs. Thank you for asking this question and at least giving me some insight.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 29, 2021 Mar 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe should code in an option for the bookmarks pane problem whereby when you open a pdf file there would be a button you could click to open the bookmark pane. Not just automatically open it and take up the screen space all the time.

Maybe make it with a color preference by default or by the creator's choosing. It could be a flashing button, whatever.

Here is another problem I have now that I am thinking of all of this. Whenever I open a pdf file I always have to click up at the top and enable the smooth scroll feature, instead of each page jumping to the next as I scroll down. This too is annoying as heck. Why not a button for that that is on the menu bar too? Maybe I ask for too much. 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you customize your quick tools set-up you can put that button wherever you would like... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That sounds like a great solution. I am going to look for that option now. Never heard of it or seen it before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahh, I found a setting in perference finally that fixes the page at a time thing.

Now all the pdf's will scroll continuous. Found it just now in 'accessability' settings.

So, cool. As for a custom button, there is no way to set up a button to click on or off of this setting.

Now that would be a cool tool. Thanks for your help in pushing me to look a little closer than I did before to find this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2022 Jan 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was also looking for a solution about this, and finally I got it.

Go to: Preferences/Documents and mark the option Restore last view setting when reopening documents

Then you have to close the bookmarks windows and you are done. This is going to be the last time you do this.

Try to open another pdf and you wont see that annoying panel again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2022 Feb 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That didn't work.  So Annoying. I guess there is no solution for this.  cyanfalcon@yahoo.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2022 Feb 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure if "single key accelerators" need to be on for this to work... but hitting "F4" opens and closes the left pane which contains the bookmarks.  It would be a single key to hit every time you opened a doc that had the bookmarks pane open on start.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 28, 2022 Apr 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We need a setting in Acrobat that enables each new PDF to open without the bookmarks pane.  It is annoying and I do not know anyone who wishes to use the bookmarks.  If a user wants to use the bookmarks, Acrobat should make that an easy setting to "turn on."  Can someone let me know if the plug-in has been found and works?  Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 27, 2022 May 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can respect that there may be reasons for many, even most, other users to appreciate the Bookmarks functionality, and not want to miss created Bookmarks within the document when they open someone else's PDF, for example. So fine, leave it on by default per "factory" settings. I get that.

But for those many of us that NEVER use it, create an option to set the default to "OFF" (for all new PDFs we open). Closing the bookmarks tab every time I open a PDF to review it for a few seconds before reviewing another one has annoyed me so much to this point that I just want to remove it from my installation entirely. Alas, I am no programmer.

There are enough of us that want this.

ADD THE FEATURE PLEASE. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2022 Oct 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked for me.  Thanks!

Seriously these tech bro managers and their 'people probably want the most annoying thing possible' attitude is frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2022 Oct 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dammit!  It worked until it didn't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2023 Dec 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is that programmers know the "how", but have no idea about the "what". As a result - they use very sofisticated (in some cases) code to create idiotic applications with idiotic features. I am an engineer - and we frequently had to create our own applications because there was no way of convincing the dumbass programmers to do what was needed and no mor. They love including "features" which no one uses and which are annoying as hell.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2023 Feb 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked for me.... THANKS!!!!! That was such an annoying feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 24, 2023 Feb 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can I ask what version you use?? I've got Adobe Acrobat Pro 2020, and it doesn't work for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 17, 2023 May 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OH. MY. GOD!  IT WORKED!  You are my hero!!!!  I'm running Abrobat Pro version 2023.001.20177 on a mac (ios Ventura 13.3.1 (a).  No idea if that matters but worked and this is honestly the highlight of my week so far lol.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines