• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Leading changes in last line of paragraph

Engaged ,
Feb 08, 2017 Feb 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CC on a Mac. I just changed a paragraph style from 8pt type with 9pt leading to 7pt type with 8pt leading. And now I am getting this - note that the leading changes before the last line:

Screenshot 2017-02-08 09.19.38.png

It happens everywhere, not just this one paragraph.

Here is the "before" condition:

Screenshot 2017-02-08 09.23.59.png

Can you help me fix this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 08, 2017 Feb 08, 2017

Note that the preference doesn't change existing text, if you want the same leading through out an unevenly leaded paragraph, you'll still have to select the entire paragraph and se the leading or clear the style override. With all the text selected in my example the leading field is blank indicating the mixed leading.

Screen Shot 2017-02-08 at 11.57.38 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you have to select also the final hidden character and change it 7pt/8pt.

Schermata 2017-02-08 alle 17.31.13.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you don't want to allow different leading within a paragraph look at Preferences>Type>Apply Leading to Entire Paragraphs. If that preference has been unchecked, you'll have to select the entire paragraph and clear the style's override.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I have seen this, the usual culprit is a paragraph return character that is larger than the rest of the text.

Screenshot 2017-02-08 11.37.22.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With Apply Leading to Entire Paragraph unchecked it's possible to change the leading to one line within the paragraph (which would be a style override). Like this:

Screen Shot 2017-02-08 at 11.40.42 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where is "Apply Leading to Entire Paragraph" found?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2017-02-08 at 11.50.23 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I changed that to "on" but the problem still persists.

And now I find that I cannot show "hidden characters". I double checked to make sure I do not have overprint preview on.

Any thoughts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure View>Screen Mode is set to Normal?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Rob, that was the problem with the hidden characters not showing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And now that I've got that fixed I can fix the other problem as well - it was indeed the return character.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If Hidden Characters are not showing even when turned on, go to the icon at the bottom of the tool pallet, right-click and change the view to Normal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Note that the preference doesn't change existing text, if you want the same leading through out an unevenly leaded paragraph, you'll still have to select the entire paragraph and se the leading or clear the style override. With all the text selected in my example the leading field is blank indicating the mixed leading.

Screen Shot 2017-02-08 at 11.57.38 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I selected all in the document and turn the preference on, it did not change anything. Also, I am not showing any overrides in the paragraph styles panel (in other words, no "+" sign for the paragraphs with the uneven leading.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you show us a capture with all of the text selected and the Character panel showing like my #7? You could have a Character style applied somewhere in the last line with different leading–in that case the paragraph style would not show an override. Maybe the battleship gray with the underline?

Like here where I have a couple of words with a character style applied and the c-style has extra leading.

Screen Shot 2017-02-08 at 12.15.58 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do a select all again. Or select the entire paragraph again. This time check the Type Size as well as the Leading. If either is blank, you have a mixture.

Select a paragraph by clicking four times or dragging top to bottom and include the pilcrow. Do not drag bottom to top, as you cannot include the pilcrow this way.

Also, weirdly, you can't always trust the plus sign. If you have italics as an override, the plus won't show up unless you click in the italics. Look at the buttons at the bottom. If the pilcow is black, there is an override. If it is gray, there is not. Click it to remove all overrides in the paragraph.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good god. What are you all talking about. Select all, style accordingly. Job done. Create new p.style if you wish. If you keep it simple, it often is. Don't install plugins. Use the fonts you trust. Having said that, vistas lowercase 'a' makes me willy twitch.

Silently followed these forums for some time, but jeez, you all do make a mountain out of a mole hill.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you just stated was tried and did not work. The other suggestions did. I appreciate people taking the time to give me a working solution to the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's alright then with so many "suggestions"... which did work?

Anyway. It doesnt matter now.

Glad it's sorted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having said that, vistas lowercase 'a' makes me willy twitch.

Not an Emigre fan? Zuzana Licko - Wikipedia

Select all, style accordingly

But if you miss the return as Marie did then the leading preference matters. With Apply Leading to Entire Paragraph checked you don't have to select all to set the leading.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 03, 2017 May 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This may not apply to you and your issue which appears to be resolved but I was searching forums for the same problem. Finally I tried copying my text from the bottom up as opposed to from the top down to paste into InDesign. This eliminated the Leading change in the last line of the paragraph. I did try the above suggestions first.

(Just in case another novice is searching for an answer to this problem!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines