• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to update the master footer to reflect page headers?

New Here ,
Feb 08, 2017 Feb 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working on a large document in Indesign that was originally set up by a past co-worker. As some of the text is being shifted I noticed the footers aren't matching the titles of the page anymore. How do I update these? The titles of the pages have a paragraph style and there is a master page with the footer info (listing page number, name of document and name of page) applied to them by they aren't changing as information is moved, etc. Any help in this mater would be appreciated as it's about a 200 page document and I don't want to override how it was originally done. Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 08, 2017 Feb 08, 2017

Headers and footers have to be on the master.

To work with dynamic headers and footers, you have to use text variables based either on Paragraph or Character Styles. Therefor that you can use them, any text has to be formatted with those styles.

Insert the curser in the text frame on the master and insert a text variable.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you check if some variable text is used, based on a para or char style?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you check for that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've looked at the text variables dialog box but I can't tell what is applied and I tried changing it but it didn't update. I'm afraid to do too much and mess anything up!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Headers and footers have to be on the master.

To work with dynamic headers and footers, you have to use text variables based either on Paragraph or Character Styles. Therefor that you can use them, any text has to be formatted with those styles.

Insert the curser in the text frame on the master and insert a text variable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Intersting! I got it to work with changing the master page to a variable. Not sure how it was set up before that they got it to work, but thanks for the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noticed some long chapter/page headers had an abbreviated version on the footer. Do you know how that would have been done? To not use the whole title? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be helpful for us if you could attach a screen capture of the footers on the master page and on a document page.

You can do that in the forum editor with the Insert Image icon at the top.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I create a special para style for the headers/footers, which I use for the variable.I make sure that the var is set to to be used "the first time the style occurs on the page. When a new chap starts, I copy the long chap title and shorten it, giving it the para style I created for the header/footer. Then I set the "abbreviated" title to "colour = white (that is colour of the paper) and I set it 0.1 point.

This because you don't want two titles on the page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines