• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CFMAIL Stripping Spaces in Release 2016

New Here ,
Aug 28, 2016 Aug 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We recently upgraded to ColdFusion 2016 having run ColdFusion for over a decade.  Most everything has gone well except a weird issue with email.  Every CFMAIL function now strips out spaces when displaying multiple variables in a row. 

For example, many automated reports that generated output through CFMAIL have something like this in the code:

Example Query:

<cfquery name="GetUsers" datasource="database">

Select User_Name_F, User_Name_L

From Users

Where Active = 1

Order By User_Name_L, User_Name_F

</cfquery>

Output Code (in body of CFMAIL tag):

<cfoutput>#GetUsers.User_Name_F# #GetUsers.User_Name_L#</cfoutput>

Output Result (in multiple email clients):

JohnDoe

Before the upgrade this displayed as "John Doe" correctly with the space between names and has for years.  I can force a blank space by hard-coding it in, which I shouldn't have to do.  I can also do a "Select (User_Name_F + ' ' + User_Name_L) as name" and make it work, but many times I will use the first and last names in different orders in the same output, so I shouldn't have to do this either.  The same issue occurs from queries from MySQL 5 and Microsoft SQL Server.  The same issue occurs with variables from queries as well as variables created using CFSET. 

Is this a bug?  What am I missing?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Aug 31, 2018 Aug 31, 2018

This bug has been fixed in CF2016 update 6: Bug fixes in Adobe ColdFusion (2016 release) Update 6

--

Pete Freitag

Foundeo Inc.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Aug 31, 2016 Aug 31, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are seeing the same behavior after moving to CF 2016, but you are further ahead in your troubleshooting.  Did you file file a bug report at bugbase.adobe.com?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 07, 2016 Sep 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just an FYI - I have a report in adobe's bugbase (4187127) that has been verified and is slated to be fixed. When that happens though - who knows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Sep 06, 2016 Sep 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a temporary work-around, would using a non-breaking space be acceptable?

<cfoutput>#GetUsers.User_Name_F#& nbsp;#GetUsers.User_Name_L#</cfoutput>

Cheers

Eddie

P.S. Sorry, the editor interprets the nbsp and doesn't show it. I inserted a space to defeat it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 08, 2017 Feb 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone know if there's been any new information on this? I am running on the latest patch and it still is an issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, still an issue with update 3. Adobe claims its fixed in the bug tracker but doesn't say what version its fixed in.  I'm thinking maybe the fix may have just missed making it into  update 3 so I expected Update 4 (I was guessing around December) would have it, but in December they put out a repackaged installer instead.  So maybe in March we will get Update 4 which HOPEFULLY will contain the fix, but its all just speculation (and hope) on my part.  Waaaay too long to wait for a much needed simple fix though....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed, and this is something that is a bit perplexing as to why it even exists. I've employed the   workaround with limited success but that only seems to help in specific isolated cases.

Guess we can just hurry up and wait

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am curious to know if anyone using the repackaged installer is seeing this issue.I know the repackaged installer came with a newer JRE, and I was curious if somehow it was actually a java bug that caused this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2017 Feb 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found a hack in the meantime.  If you use CFINCLUDE for the body of the CFMAIL, it will properly handle the content.

Note that you must include a CFOUTPUT inside the include.

<cfmail from="a@b.com" to="b@a.com" type="html" subject="I Fixed It!">

<cfinclude template="MyEmailConent.cfm">

</cfmail>

MyEmailContent.cfm:

<cfoutput>

#var1# #var2# #var3#

</cfoutput>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 03, 2017 Sep 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can also fix it with cfsavecontent to avoid needing a separate file...

<cfsavecontent variable="request.emailBody" >

<cfoutput>

<pre>

Email:  #request.email#

Name:   #request.name_first# #request.name_last#

</pre>

</cfoutput>

</cfsavecontent>

<cfmail from="me@gmail.com" to="you@gmail.com" subject="Test Email">

#request.emailBody#

</cfmail>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 03, 2017 Sep 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still happening for me on Product Version:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Aug 31, 2018 Aug 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This bug has been fixed in CF2016 update 6: Bug fixes in Adobe ColdFusion (2016 release) Update 6

--

Pete Freitag

Foundeo Inc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation