• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What can I do to make this photo more interesting?

Engaged ,
Feb 08, 2017 Feb 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What techniques can I try to add a little more dynamism to this image without radically the changing the majority color?

auburn.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 08, 2017 Feb 08, 2017

Hi

If you just mean brighten up the mid tones and expand the contrast, then a simple curves adjustment  layer will give it more contrast

Dropping back the saturation slightly stops the increase in contrast over-saturating the colours

After that - well how far do you want to go.....

auburn4.gif

(It is just an animated gif made of some duplicate layers and using liquify on the eye and mouth)

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

If you just mean brighten up the mid tones and expand the contrast, then a simple curves adjustment  layer will give it more contrast

Dropping back the saturation slightly stops the increase in contrast over-saturating the colours

After that - well how far do you want to go.....

auburn4.gif

(It is just an animated gif made of some duplicate layers and using liquify on the eye and mouth)

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I LOL'd. Sadly it is for print! I'll give your suggestions a try. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Feb 09, 2017 Feb 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, you could use Camera Raw with your image converted to RGB mode (8/16 BIT) to alter the "lighting" etc before converting back to CMYK - But please do it relatively subtle as nothing looks worse (personally) than over saturated etc. images.

I normally try to make changes up to a maximum of + or - 20. Normally I do about +/- 10.

I also try and follow a balancing rule (depending on the image) so say you increase whites by 10 then blacks should be decreased by a maximum of 10.

Obviously, it depends on your style and I like a relatively subtle glossy look to an image going for Print.

But some food for thought I hope...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Marie,

Another approach would be to duplicate your image Layer by going Layer> Duplicate Layer.

Next set the duplicated Layer Blendmode to Overlay and reduce the Layer Opacity to 35%:

Screen Shot 2017-02-09 at 11.34.37.png

Finally add a Brightness/Contrast Adjustment Layer setting the Brightness to 42 and the Contrast to around -3.

Screen Shot 2017-02-09 at 11.36.01.png

Thanks,

Sim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Another approach would be to duplicate your image Layer by going Layer> Duplicate Layer.
Next set the duplicated Layer Blendmode to Overlay and reduce the Layer Opacity to 35%:

I have found this approach an unfortunate one for some time now.

Why add unnecessary pixel data when an unadjusted blank Adjustment Layer with the appropriate Blend Mode achieves the same result without making touch-up of the base layer a problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I Love rabbitsauburn.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting-Cat.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As someone once said, we all have more computing power at our fingertips than every moonshot put together. And what do we do with it? We look at pictures of cats.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for the chuckle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines