Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Publishing to Sharepoint

New Here ,
Feb 09, 2017 Feb 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Firstly, the basic info. We're using RoboHelp 8 and publishing to Sharepoint 2010. Upgrading either of these is not an option, sadly.

I have been publishing to Sharepoint from a HTML project for years without issue, but now am trying to migrate one of our other projects to be published on SP and the user keeps getting the same issue which causes the Publish to fail...

failed.png

I have ruled out a few issues including fixing filenames with & symbols (Sharepoint doesn't support them) and I've elevated this user to "Full control" of the target Document Library (effectively admin level permissions), but it still keeps failing part way through. If I publish the same from my PC then it works fine though. The only difference is that I have "site admin" permissions on the Sharepoint site, rather than just having permissions on the Library.

I did another test on another RH project to a different Doc Library on the same site, with a different user, and they were able to publish without any issue - hence I believe the SP permission level is fine and there may be some other issue I'm not able to figure.

I cleared all the files out of the SP library and then got my test user to try again, it got a little further but still failed (as shown above). It always seems to stop at the bsscftp.txt file. I've read some posts about that file on the forum and it seems to be generated as part of the Publish process by RH. Again this hasn't caused any issues for my other projects.

Any suggestions please?!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

have you had them try the 2 step process? Generate to a local folder, then copy it to the destination? That way you can isolate the issue to RH or the destination (my money's on SharePoint messing up)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To rule out the permission issue, could you try (temporarily) making the user you use for publishing as site collection admin?

My first thought is to check the path length. Windows doesn't allow paths over 256 characters. Can you map the SharePoint library to a network drive letter in your Windows and publish using that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2017 Feb 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks both I will try all these suggestions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update from today's testing:

• Manual copy using Windows - worked OK with no issues. Then followed up with a RH publish but this again failed
  • Upgraded user to SCA on the Sharepoint site - RH Publish still failed

I've checked the pull path on the SP server too and it doesn't get anywhere near the 256 character limit.. Plus the manual copy was successful so that should eliminate this concern?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are your publishing settings? Do you use the SP connection? Or just a copy via path (like you do in Windows).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi William,

The Publish setting is using the "file system" option and the full path to the server location e.g. \\home.XXXX.intranet\site\library\folder

Because we use RH8 there is no specific Sharepoint option, I believe that was introduced in v9 or 10. But this setup has been working fine for me and other colleagues for several years without issue, so it's quite confusing as to why this user is having issues - even when promoted to Site Collection Admin.

On Monday I will remote into her PC and see if I can discover anything that way..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2017 Mar 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just in case anyone has any bright ideas, this is still ongoing. I've tested the exact same project with another user with the same setup and it publishes without issue, so am mystified to the cause of the issues for this particular user. I even cleared and re-synced her local copy of the project to ensure there were no "leftovers" in the local copy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 02, 2017 Mar 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm out of ideas I'm afraid. Perhaps a name in the library in SharePoint that contains a character that RH doesn't like?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 02, 2017 Mar 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks @William I had considered that and amended any unsupported filenames up-front. So when other users can publish the same project to the same SP library it seems that angle has been covered. Our IT support are suggesting re-profiling the user on Windows so we'll see if that makes any difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp