Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign Ignores Camera Raw edits?

Explorer ,
Feb 05, 2017 Feb 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I took a 3 photos, saved a JPEGs, and in Bridge I altered them using Camera Raw.

In the Bridge interface, the thumbnails update to reflect the alteration, and the Camera Raw icon raw_bridge.pngappears beside the thumbnail.

When I create a new file in InDesign and use the Place command, selecting the 3 photos that I have altered in Camera Raw, and place them onto the pages, none of the Camera Raw Edits are visible.

Am I doing something wrong or does InDesign not recognize the Camera Raw adjustments done to JPEG files?

I really like using Camera Raw as a way to quickly manipulate a bunch of photos.  I just assumed they would work form Bridge into InDesign.

Of course I can save out (export) all those Camera Raw changes as a new set of JPEG files and place those in the InDesign pages, but that seems rather laborious and non-elegant.

I am grateful for any help on this matter.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 05, 2017 Feb 05, 2017

You have to make the Camera Raw edits in Photoshop and save as a PSD file. Place that in InDesign.

InDesign doesn't directly recognize the Camera Raw format.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to make the Camera Raw edits in Photoshop and save as a PSD file. Place that in InDesign.

InDesign doesn't directly recognize the Camera Raw format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's too bad.  It seems like this would be a good feature to further support Adobe's continuing integration of all the tools in their suite, especially Bridge, which is supposed to tie them all together.  I will make a feature request for their next release.

Thanks Steve.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will make a feature request for their next release.

The raw format has been around almost as long as InDesign, so I don't think it is going to happen. It's hard to imagine how a RAW image could be color managed or printed without the settings first being applied to the pixels.

If you are using OSX I have an AppleScript I can post that will save a place a PSD version of a RAW file with the image as a smart object. The placed PSD gets saved in the same folder as the RAW file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rob day wrote:

If you try and open a .jpeg file from Bridge it will open directly into Photoshop where you can edit and save it,

It is possible to right click a jpg in Bridge and choose Open in Camera Raw, which is probably what the OP did. (and then clicked Done when finished editing)

It will then behave like a raw file, and to create a new file with the edits, you would have to click Open, and then save a new file in Photoshop.

Davizual  - Rob has given you the correct information about how raw files (and other files processed in Camera Raw) work.

The xmp files with the edits can only be read by Bridge, Photoshop and Lightroom.

InDesign is not an image editor, and I have to agree with Rob that it is highly unlikely that it will ever be able to read these xmp files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is possible to right click a jpg in Bridge and choose Open in Camera Raw, which is probably what the OP did. (and then clicked Done when finished editing)

Yes i realized that after re-reading the post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the AppleScript (OSX only) I mentioned:

http://www.zenodesign.com/forum/PlaceRAW.zip

If you shoot JPEG you really lose the benefit of the totally non-destructive RAW format. You could prevent additional destruction by opening JPEGs as you described into Camera Raw, but ID doesn't recognize the XMP corrections.

My script places the RAW file as a smart object in a PSD and because it is a smart object you can use the Camera RAW interface to make future corrections to the PSD and they get honored in ID. You can also do this manually in PS via File>Place Embedded...

Here's a placed PSD with a placed RAW file as a Smart Object Layer.

raw.png

I can edit the layer's contents and get the RAW controls and make non destructive edits.

Screen Shot 2017-02-05 at 5.03.19 PM.png

Then update the link in ID.

Screen Shot 2017-02-05 at 5.03.49 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

saved a JPEGs, and in Bridge I altered them using Camera Raw.

In the Bridge interface, the thumbnails update to reflect the alteration, and the Camera Raw icon raw_bridge.pngappears beside the thumbnail.

Camera Raw edits are not actually applied to the file's pixels, but are saved in an .XMP file. It is analogous to a film negative and InDesign needs the pixels to be "developed" into a format where the pixels have the corrections applied.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Download the following Russell Brown movie for a timely reminder of the pros/cons of “editing” (adding ACR develop metadata settings) TIFF/JPEG images with CMD/CTRL-R in Bridge:

http://av.adobe.com/russellbrown/CS3_ACR_JPEG_SM.mov

(You may need to contextual/right click and save the movie to your drive rather than watching in-browser)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 08, 2017 Feb 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stephen_A_Marsh, rob day, Per Berntsen,

Thank you for all your additional information to help me wrap my head around the mechanics of how Camera Raw or Develop settings work in relation to the other apps in the suite.  That video helped solidify how it works, and the script to easily get them into PS as a Smart Object Layer is a handy idea, although I am on PC :-(, but I can still do this manually.

Working with images non-destructively is such a great way to work either in Bridge or Lightroom.  Moving forward I will be mindful of integrating this workflow into the pipeline, where Illustrator and InDesign are concerned.  I hope that Adobe cleans this up one day as I believe the more intuitive the tools become, the better, and the less the user has to worry about, the better. 

I find it interesting that in Lightroom's Print Module, there is a very light InDesign tool for photo book creation that honours the Develop or Camera Raw settings in the files.  Heck, if they are going to add InDesign-like tools to Lightroom, why wouldn't they add Lightroom-like tools to InDesign? So it may be likely one day... 🙂

Dave.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 09, 2017 Feb 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Working with images non-destructively is such a great way to work either in Bridge or Lightroom.

But then why work with JPEGS? The compression and conversion into a device dependent color space guarantees some level of destruction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 09, 2017 Feb 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, while JPEG's compression and conversion is an initial degradation, for some of my cameras (like an iPhone image) and some situations, that's all that is available. Shooting RAW is preferable, of course.

So from the point after the images is written to memory, as non-destructive as possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines