Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Older PhotoShop with Creative Cloud Performance

New Here ,
Feb 09, 2017 Feb 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a strange issue.

I have the CS5.5 suite and I install it on brand new machines that are Windows 7 64 bit.

After installing the CS5.5 suite the applications are blindingly fast.  InDesign, Illustrator and PhotoShop load up in seconds.

I have a subscription to InDesign CC 2017 so I install the Creative Cloud app and install ID...

After it has installed ID 2017 works as does everything in the CS5.5 suite APART from PhotoShop.

It just seems to "die"...its performance goes terrible...launching PhotoShop takes a bit longer but doing a File > Open causes PhotoShop to hang for minutes until I can then see a folder.  Navigating to another folder causes PhotoShop to hang again.

Uninstalling Creative Cloud and ID2017 causes the issue to persist.

Restoring the new PC's back to factory settings and installing CS5.5 makes it fast again, until I install CC with ID2017.

I thought it was a CS5.5 issue but I have installed CS3, CS4, and even PhotoShop Elements 8, 9 and the most recent and all exhibit the same issue.

PhotoShop, no matter what flavour just goes terrible as soon as I install the Creative Cloud app.

No problems at all prior to installing the Creative Cloud app.

Any suggestions?  I've tried disabling just about everything in PhotoShop, I've disabled syncing in the Creative Cloud etc but whilst all other CS5.5 apps are fine PhotoShop suffers to the point where it is unusable.

I'm pretty much out of ideas.  I can't roll out new machines to my Graphics Designers because they need CS5.5 suite and ID 2017.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whilst I don't know your CPU/RAM or anything more useful - I would suggest disabling Creative Cloud process from opening on start up in your Task Manager...

You don't need creative cloud always open and it can cause lag and the internet to hang up if your unfortunate enough to have a limited bandwidth.

I suspect that CC is trying to do something with Photoshop so that you can access Adobe Stock etc and this is causing the delays.

But that is only a hunch at this point.

Regardless disabling the launch of Creative Cloud and not having the process open on the system may improve your speed.

Side note: why is CS5.5 critical compared to newer versions?

Similarly, Windows 10 is fairly stable these days and you can normally get a clean installation if you do it when purchasing or starting from factory settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even uninstalling CC still causes the issue to remain...so not sure about just disabling CC.

We need CS5.5 and Windows 7 due to legacy software + ID docs...

CPU and graphics and memory are huge and as I say running ID2017 CC on its own flies as does the CS5.5 suite on its own, it is just when the CC app hits the machines PhotoShop stops working.

EDIT.  I've disabled everything to do with Creative Cloud...the issue persists...doing a File > Open or any menu driven thing in PhotoShop kills it...it eventually opens but is horrendously slow.

Creative Cloud installing 100% causes this issue because I've done the process 4 times now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm... then, unfortunately, all I can suggest right now is to submit a bug report Feature Request/Bug Report Form for now.

As this is a community forum all I can say otherwise is that I'll try and think of what else might stop this and hope that other members might have some ideas in the meantime.

I'll keep you updated.

Sorry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some other thoughts to try for a slightly different problem but I'm wondering if it will reset the computer back to before CC was installed but still have CC installed (if that makes sense):

Here are a couple of thoughts and links to the pages where I found them....

Solution 4: Remove the opm.db file, restart your computer, and relaunch the CC Desktop app.

• Quit the Creative Cloud Desktop application from the gear icon in the upper-right corner.

• Restart the computer and launch the Creative Cloud Desktop application again.

Solution 5: Delete the contents of the OOBE folder and relaunch the CC Desktop app.

• Quit the Creative Cloud Desktop application from the gear icon in the upper-right corner.
  • Delete the entire contents of the OOBE folder.Note: This folder is the one containing the opm.db file from solution 2.
  • Restart the computer and launch the Creative Cloud Desktop application again.Note: The app can take slightly longer than usual to load with this solution, as content in the OOBE folder is rebuilt after launch.

From: App doesn't open | Progress wheel spins continually

OR we could try:

3. (Windows) Disable Compatibility Mode.

For information on compatibility mode, see Using Windows 7 or Vista compatibility mode.

Windows Compatibility Mode can cause errors to occur with Adobe Creative Suite products. To disable it, do the following:

• Navigate to C:\Program Files\Adobe\[application name].

• Right-click the product application file and choose Properties.

• In the Compatibility tab, deselect all options under Compatibility Mode, Settings, and Privilege Level. 

• Click OK, and relaunch the Adobe Creative Suite 5 product.

4. Disable startup items and services.

Applications running in the background can prevent Creative Suite 5, CS5.5, and CS6 products from launching. For instructions on temporarily disabling these items, see the following documents:

6. Delete all Adobefnt*.lst files

Search for and delete all copies of the AdobeFnt*.lst file that you find on the hard disk:

• (Mac OS) In the Finder, choose File > Find (Command + F).
    (Windows XP) In Explorer, click the Search button (Ctrl+F).
    (Windows Vista/7) In Explorer, use the search box in the upper right (Ctrl+F).

• Type Adobefnt*.lst and then click the Search icon. If you have more than one hard drive, only search the system (OS) drive.
    (Windows XP Search Assistant) Choose All Files and Folders. Under More advanced options select Search System Folders, Search hidden files and folders, and Search subfolders.

• Click within the search results. Choose Edit > Select All, and then drag the selected files to the Trash (Mac OS) or Recycle Bin (Windows).

• (Mac OS) Choose Finder > Empty Trash.

• Restart the application.

If an Adobefnt*.lst file becomes damaged, it can cause the application to crash, freeze, or quit when you try to start it. Adobefnt.lst files (for example, Adobefnt10.list for InDesign) are font cache files that Adobe applications use to quickly gather and store information about available fonts. If you delete or rename an Adobefnt.lst file, the application re-creates it the next time you start the application.

From: Troubleshoot launch issues with Adobe Creative Suite 6, CS5.5, CS5

Finally:

Correct Answerby andy-mario on Jul 2, 2013 8:54 AM

Seems that deleting the preference folder (in osx it's in "user/library/Preferences/Adobe Illustrator 17 Settings") got me back on track.
Now Illustrator is launching correctly. I did also a system cleanup (permissions, caches etc...) and rebooted.

Creative cloud desktop is working correctly after reinstalling.

See the answer in context

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some nice options there...some I have done...some I have not.

I have now tried them all but no difference.

I posted on the Bugs Forum as you mention and I've had one reply from a guy who had something similar and he was basically told to upgrade the CS5.5 suite.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ok sorry I couldn't be of more help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines