Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Open as smart object in photoshop does not work

Community Beginner ,
Feb 09, 2017 Feb 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have installed Lightroom version: 6.8 [ 1099473 ] and Adobe Photoshop Elements Version: 15.0 (20160905.m.97630)  x64 Windows 10 64-Bit.

If I try top click Open as smart object in photoshop does not work following error message appears after some time in Lightroom, in the meantime PS Elements Editor is opened, but no new workspace or the requested RAW is opened.

English error message:

"the file could not be edited because Adobe Photoshop Elements Editor could not be launched."

German error message:

"Die Datei konnte nicht bearbeitet werden, da Adobe Photoshop Elements Editor nicht gestartet werden konnte."

I just tried this with a trial version some time ago and this worked, but now...no idea 😞

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 10, 2017 Feb 10, 2017

The standard command will work from Lightroom

Edit In >> Photoshop Elements Editor

Could that be what you were seeing?

I have preferences (external editing) set to PSD and 8 bit files which offer maximum flexibility in PSE as 16 bit editing is limited.

I believe some users have installed the Elemental plug-in.

https://www.photographers-toolbox.com/products/mdawson/tpgelemental/

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Feb 10, 2017 Feb 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The open as smart object command is designed to work with PS not Elements. There is limited functionality in elements but you can open files directly e.g. into another document or image using the menu in Expert mode:

File >> Place

Click the green checkmark and the layer becomes a smart object. You can then use the move tool (and bounding box) e.g. to stretch or scale the object without pixilation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am really wondering about this anwer, because it worked with a time limted trial version of elements a few months ago. I just take the decision to buy elements this week because of this feature and now it does not work.

I will check if the "workaround" support the workflows I have in mind.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The standard command will work from Lightroom

Edit In >> Photoshop Elements Editor

Could that be what you were seeing?

I have preferences (external editing) set to PSD and 8 bit files which offer maximum flexibility in PSE as 16 bit editing is limited.

I believe some users have installed the Elemental plug-in.

https://www.photographers-toolbox.com/products/mdawson/tpgelemental/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That Plugin works quite well, but still not as I expected to work with both programs. Maybe they removed the feature from the elements series, but I really remember to be able to work on different smart objects on different layers. With the plugin I just can work with 1 smart object per psd file (or is there any other workflwo to do so?)

It was definitly working with many layers as smart objects within one opsd file, not working with just a copy. I remember that I was made some combustion with a series of firework.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines