• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Masking Shapes?

Enthusiast ,
Feb 09, 2017 Feb 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to create a reusable element for my animations. It's of an eye. I want the pupil to move around but be masked by a circular black outline. First screenshot below shows that the blue is NOT being masked. I've tried several things in AE & don't understand why nothing is working. I imported a layered .ai file - but couldn't make the mask work using a track matte.

I created the art/circles with shapes in AE - but couldn't get the black outline to remain static while the blue circle moved left & right. they both only moved in tandem. Can anyone help me figure this out? Many thanks!

Below are the 3 elements I'm working with & trying to get teh black outline to mask the blue circle. (And I want the black outline to remain visible.

Eye-Masked.jpg

Below is what I'm hoping to achieve - I want to move the blue pupil around but never have it extend past the black outline.:

Eye-Masked-Compelete.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 10, 2017 Feb 10, 2017

Here is the link to the CS6 version: http://f1.creativecow.net/11034/shapelayermerge

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to use the Merge Shapes command (set to intersect) with a copy of your eyeball ellipse together with the pupil ellipse. Here's a demo file I uploaded to Creative COW for you: http://f1.creativecow.net/11031/shape-layer-eye

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was just about to shut down when I saw this. I will download  - and can't wait to try this in the morning! Thank you so much!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Feb 10, 2017 Feb 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried opening the file but I'm in CS6 - so the file wouldn't open for me. I will try to use the Merge command - and see if i can get it to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Karen! hopefully you are still a Lynda subscriber. this episode cover this topic: Creating compound paths

BTW you can also add a mask to a shape layer by pressing the "tools creates mask" feature

I usually leave that when there is too much complexity in my shape that using merge path will create too much work for me instead of a simple mask.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll go and watch this movie. Thanks for the link! I actually was able to make the simpler TrkMatte / mask work. It confused me because it's sort of the opposite of masking in Illustrator. In illustrator you put the masking shape over the masked shape and then: Comm +7 - but in AE - it's lke the shape to be masked has to "reach upwards" and grab the matte. Ha, Ha! Kind of like the masked object gets caught in the shower and has to grab the towel to hide itself.

I will go watch the movie though, as I'm a vector person & was confused by how and when masking made the lower/masked shape glued/connected (it almost seemed parented) to the upper/mask.

As always, thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TrkMatte / mask work. It confused me because it's sort of the opposite of masking in Illustrator.

isn't track matte almost exactly the same as clipping mask in illustrator? the bottom layer's transparency is defined by the upper layer's shape.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's the same effect but in AI - you put the mask (object or shape) on top & hit comm +7 to mask the object below. In AE - the object below is masked but the Trk matte needs to be on the lower/Masked layer. That's why it was so confusing to me.

BTW - is there a benefit to using the Merge Shapes over the Trk Matte?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in Illustrator you need to select both layers, in Ae you set the bottom to use the top but the setup is the same.

Here's illustrator's setup for Clipping Masks

Before

After

Here's Ae's setup for Track Mattes

Before

After

karenf1 wrote:

It's the same effect but in AI - you put the mask (object or shape) on top & hit comm +7 to mask the object below. In AE - the object below is masked but the Trk matte needs to be on the lower/Masked layer. That's why it was so confusing to me.

very close.

use what you feel most comfortable with. some like to make as few layers as possible, others like it different.

but when I did this - the two shapes moved together - I couldn't just grap the bottom/masked shape and move it without the mask moving in tandem.

if you move a layer, the mask move with it. but if you move the actual shape (through the shape's group properties or path properties) then the mask will stay still.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for making this so clear! And I watched the video - had a laugh in that I've watched it before - but as much as I really love their videos they're so chock-full & complicated that they never sunk into my brain until I started doing these simple lessons at Udemy with smaller project based videos that make you feel like you sucessfully tackled something. Now I'm getting" stuff & the balance between the shorter & easier lessons combined with going to lynda for more complex explanations seems to be working for me. As always, really, really, thanks for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to start building a library of elements for my animations like eyes, mouths, etc. Can you recommend a video or a way to begin learning how to do that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

specify a bit more. but hold on, maybe this deserve another thread. specify exactly what you are set out to do so that others can contribute and users that have similar question could get a chance to get the answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Will do! New thread!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe I was doing it wrong - but when I did this - the two shapes moved together - I couldn't just grap the bottom/masked shape and move it without the mask moving in tandem. So, yes, it worked, but not the way I needed it to - as a dynamic mask effect. Hope I was clear!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the link to the CS6 version: http://f1.creativecow.net/11034/shapelayermerge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much! It worked perfectly! It wil take me a few minutes to deconstruct it but clearly this works!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines