• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is it possible to create a small caps character style without specifying a font?

Enthusiast ,
Feb 06, 2017 Feb 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works with italic and other attributes, but I seem unable to do it with small caps.

~Valerie

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 06, 2017 Feb 06, 2017

What version are you using? I was able to set do this.  

--side note   I went back to try to do it a second time and Small caps would not stay selected. I closed out of the dialog box, and when I went in a third time, it did work.

Screenshot 2017-02-06 14.44.52.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version are you using? I was able to set do this.  

--side note   I went back to try to do it a second time and Small caps would not stay selected. I closed out of the dialog box, and when I went in a third time, it did work.

Screenshot 2017-02-06 14.44.52.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Feb 09, 2017 Feb 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ended up getting it to work after a couple of tries, too. It's one of those things that always trips me up, but I don't need it often enough to remember how I fixed it the last time.

~Valerie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using the Character>Open Type>AllSmallCaps, or fake small caps Character>Small Caps? Fake small caps should work for any font change, but open type's AllSmallCaps would only work when you switch to another open type font that includes small caps.

So here's MinionPro OT—I've set the Font Family field blank and Case to OpenTypeAllSmallCaps in style options:

Screen Shot 2017-02-06 at 2.58.21 PM.png

Changing to another full OT font works:—VistaSans OT

Screen Shot 2017-02-06 at 2.59.08 PM.png

But T1 Helvetica doesn't

Screen Shot 2017-02-06 at 2.59.41 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was just fake small caps, but I obviously need to remember the open type option, which I can't recall ever noticing before. So thanks!

~Valerie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not all OTF fonts include small caps. If an OTF attribute is in brackets it's not available. The version of MinionPro that ships with ID has real small caps, but MyriadPro does not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Valerie,

Please note there is an ID glitch with the 'open type all small cap' font. If the font style is changed from regular to italic, the small cap is lost & text returns to ulc italic. We use an alternate character style for these instances with 'open type all small cap,regular and add a skew' for any italic that may be needed.

Sandy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Please note there is an ID glitch with the 'open type all small cap' font.

I don't think that is an InDesign bug. The open type All Small Caps depends on the font having the small cap glyphs included in the font. If you use a font with a full glyph set in both its italic and roman there won't be a problem. So, MinionPro works:

Screen Shot 2017-02-09 at 5.08.28 PM.png

Same text set as italic uses Minion's italic small caps

Screen Shot 2017-02-09 at 5.08.39 PM.png

But the Myriad otf that ships with ID doesn't have small cap glyphs, so the small caps are lost on the switch:

Screen Shot 2017-02-09 at 5.08.59 PM.png

If All Small Caps is bracketed the glyphs are not available

sc.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines